F O U R T E E N

Alexa

I could still feel his hands on my body.

I tossed and turned in bed, awakening with a jolt. Even though I am with my brothers now, I can't get Ryan and Benny out of my mind.

I took a deep breath, glancing around my room. It was so dark. I quickly got out of bed and turned the lights on.

It's been a week since I've reunited with everyone.

But no wounds have been healed.

I'm still so scared that Benny will find me, I'm so scared of seeing Ryan again. But Ryan hasn't been at school. I overheard some seventh graders saying that he resigned. Does that mean that I'll never see him again? And what about Benny?

None of my brothers know the full extent of what happened. All they know is that Benny faked my suicide (which was a lie) and that I've been living with my uncle, but wanted to see everyone again.

I looked at myself in the mirror.

My cuts were on display. I haven't made any new ones since Elliot had threatened me. I was too scared of everyone else finding out about the damage that I've been doing to my skin.

I took a deep breath.

I glanced at my clock on my dresser. It was only 4:39 am. And it was Saturday, so I didn't have school to worry about.

When will Dad come back from his business trip? Has anyone even told him that I'm home yet? I swallowed, nervous. He will definitely not be too happy to see me. Will he begin abusing me again? Or now that Andrew is back, has he changed into the person he was before that car wreck?

I pulled out my phone—yes, I have one now. It was actually a present from Zach and Cameron. They both have jobs and threw their money to get me an IPhone, earbuds and a pretty pale pink case for my phone.

I looked through my contacts and found Michael's name, so I clicked on it and began typing.

Alexa: Hey, Michael. You up?

He read it immediately.

Michael: Hi, wazzup, why you up

Alexa: I could ask you the same thing lol

Michael: I never went to bed lmsooo

Alexa: I woke up and can't go back to sleep

Michael: awww :(( do you wanna hang out???

Alexa: that would be great if you don't mind

Michael: I'll be at ur house soon ok wouldn't want you wandering around the streets<3

I smiled lightly and replied back with an lol ok. I love Michael. He's my bestie.

I put on a light sweater to cover my arms and then I sat back down on my bed and waited. Twelve minutes later I heard a knock on my window. I looked over to see Michael standing there, wearing a goofy grin on his face. I walked over and opened the window.

"Hi, Mikey," I say, as Michael climbs in. "Oh, are we going to hang out here?"

Michael grins. "Nothing's open yet, and if cops see random kids wandering around, they won't be too happy."

I hadn't thought about that.

Michael sat down on my bed and I joined him. He pulled out a bag of skittles. "Want some?" he asked. I smiled and held out my hand and he poured a generous amount into my hand. I thanked him and began eating them one by one.

"Hey, I have a question," Michael suddenly said.

I titled my head. "What's up?"

"How did you know that you have a crush on Elliot?"

"I have a crush on Elliot?"

My mouth fell open in shock, as Michael blinked.

"Oh, you didn't know that," Michael said. "Well, you have a crush on Elliot."

I turned red. "Huh?"

"You have a—"

"I heard you!" I grumbled. "But it's not true. Why would you even think that—"

"Do you want an honest answer?"

"Mikey!"

Michael laughed as I swatted his arm.

"Where did that question even come from?" I asked him.

Michael stopped laughing, his cheeks red. "I think—I—dunno. I might like someone, but it's wrong to like them..."

I blink. "Is it an incest situation...?"

Michael turned even redder. "What?! Of course it's not!" he exclaimed.

"Then how would it be wrong?" I asked.

Michael stayed silent.

"Mikey?" I prompted.

Michael mumbled a bunch of words that I clearly didn't hear.

"Huh?"

Michael sighed heavily. "The person that I might have a crush on.... is a guy."

I gasp. "Oh my gosh, who is it?" This was an interesting development that I never saw coming. At one point I thought he had a crush on me like when Annabeth thought Nico had a crush on her.

"Doesn't matter."

I frowned. "Mikey, you said it would be wrong..." I started. I wasn't going to tell him my stepbrother was gay, because that wasn't my place to say. But I have other things I could say. "It's okay to be gay, I promise. Love is love as long as it's not incest!"

Michael cracked a smile. "Thanks, though I'm not sure I'm gay. I've liked girls before. I—I might be bi. I think. I dunno, I feel weird."

I patted his back and then gave him a side hug.

"In fact," Michael started, "I've had a crush on you before. That's over though, promise!"

I KNEW IT!

I didn't say that, though.

I smile. "So who's your current crush?"

"I don't know if I do like him or if it's a friendly feeling."

"Then who do you think you like?"

Michael crossed his arms nervously. "I—I might like Jackson."

I blinked.

"WHAT?!"

"OI, Alexa! Is someone in there with you?" came the voice of one of my brothers. Zach, I think.

Michael and I looked at each other in alarm when he tried to open the door, but I was thankful that I had locked it.

"I'm just reading out loud!" I tell him. "Something shocking happened in my book is all!"

"Oh... okay..."

He walked away, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Then I looked back at Michael, trying hard not to squeal in excitement.

"Oh my gosh, you have a crush on Jackson?"

Michael shrugged, his face red. "Maybe?"

I tackled him into a hug.