Chapter 9 • invitations

"So what it's become a very physical relationship? Isn't that what you wanted. Hello? Alert! This aligns with you not becoming a stepmom overnight." Raven called through the other side of a black velour change room curtain in her boutique.

It was 7 am on a Monday morning and Raven had invited the girls in before open to try on pieces from her new collection that were delivered over the weekend. She texted in the group chat on Sunday night,

Besties get first dibs.

and Nia was extremely happy about it as she was currently running through her closet's rack on her date nights with Colin. Jonelle had been less pleased;

I wish we didn't have to come at the ass crack of dawn but thank you mamas.

Nia shimmied into an off the shoulder emerald green mini dress before stepping out to show her girls.

"Ou Nini, that dress is the perfect cut for you!" Raven cooed.

"Plus, clearly y'all both needed a good fuck." Jonelle stepped out in a blush two piece maxi skirt set that clung to her curves.

"True, but it's become a lot more than that." Nia explained. "That colour is everything on you, Jojo!"

"More, how so?" Sarina called from behind her curtain.

"We get along well, his personality is great and it's been a glorious three weeks of cute dates, and-" Nia broke off her sentence as she found the right words. "Next level intimacy. But like, I haven't even spoken to anyone else on my roster; nor do I really want to. He's the best sex I've had in years... I just don't know if we should be exclusive. He hasn't asked but if I press that could lead to things getting very serious, very quickly and I'm not ready for that either-"

"What did I tell you about worrying so much?" Jonelle interrupted her.

"I know, I know. I'm just kinda starting to really like him and I want to make sure he feels the same way."

"Ohmygod Nia, that's so cute!" Sarina stepped out of her change room in a tight, low cut knit red dress. "Do y'all like this on me?" She tilted her head as she inspected her reflection and adjusted the garment.

"Are you dumb? It's giving!"

"You look so hot!"

"And the girls are sitting pretty!"

"Geez, guys thanks." Sarina blushed. "And Nia - chill! There are so many steps before you even get there. Like, we haven't even met him yet."

"Y'all want to meet him?"

"Of course we do! So don't kill me for bringing it up but that Mac shit is like dead dead right?"

"Yeah, that train of thought is totally off the tracks and outta my mind. And he hasn't even hit me up lately. He's always busy or with Zora and I'm always busy or with Colin so I haven't really talked to him since that night."

"The night Colin set him straight?" Raven asked.

"Yuh. That's the one." Nia said as she examined her reflection, twisting to see all angles of the dress.

"Well then there you go. Malcolm's heeding his warning."

"But isn't it weird that I'm choosing dick over friendship?"

"Nia girl, our friendship is intact. It's just different with men - different with Mac. Damn y'all we look like a hot new girl group!" Jonelle struck a pose poking her hip out to the side with her hands behind her head making Nia and Sarina follow suit while Raven snapped some pictures.