Chapter 5: The Winter Solstice Part Two

It's night now. The gang decided to stay one more night but Aang is trying to sneak off with Appa before the others wake up, not wanting them to be put in danger by the trip. Though Appa isn't a huge fan of the idea and refuses to fly as Aang tries to pull him along. 

Aang: Let's go, Appa! Come on, boy!

He continues trying to pull by the rope, but Appa refuses to move. 

Aang: Look I'm sorry, but Katara and Sokka aren't coming to the Fire Nation with us. I know Y/n saw the same vision as me, but I don't want him there to potentially have flashbacks and relive his trauma. If he or them got hurt, I'd never forgive myself. So get your big butt off the ground and let's go!

He tries to pull the reigns, but is ultimately flung to the ground when the ropes pull him back as Appa did not move a muscle. An upset looking Aang, sitting spread-legged on the ground, looks down until he hears the voice of one of his friends. 

Sokka: I think his big butt is trying to tell ya something.

He gasps and looks behind him to find the other three waiting with their things as well as the villagers. Y/n had felt the vibrations of Appa being moved and saw that Aang was gone, which meant that he was probably trying to go on some solo mission to protect them. Which was an amazingly accurate guess. 

Katara: Please don't go, Aang. The world can't afford to lose you to the Fire Nation. Neither can I.

She pleads with Aang, but he recalls Sozen's comet. 

Aang: But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what the vision meant!

Y/n: I know, Aang. But that doesn't mean you should go there alone. 

Aang: I need to get to the Fire Temple before the sun sets on the solstice. That's today!

Y/n nods. 

Y/n: I was there, Aang. This is important, but that's why we'll do it together. If you go off running to handle things by yourself every time there's a huge problem then what's the point of having even put together this little team? You'll need help if you want to do this. That's why we're here.

Aang airbends himself to the top of Appa's head. He looks back with a sad expression on his face as he prepares to leave. As Appa stands up, the others stand before the bison, keeping him from moving any further. 

Katara: Y/n's right. We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation, Aang. 

Sokka: At least, not without your friends. We got your back.

Ying comes running up and jumps into Y/n's arm as he has his bag hanging around him with prayer beads around his neck. Momo soars up and perches atop Aang's shoulder; Appa licks Sokka, who angrily looks at the bison. 

Sokka: Ew!

One of the villagers, the leader, looks up at Aang as he gives him a small item. 

Leader: It's a long journey to the Crescent Island. You'll have to fly fast to have any chance of making it before sundown. Good luck.

Aang: Thank you for-

The leader cuts him off, not wanting him to waste any time. 

Leader: Go!

They all climb on Appa's back and fly off with Y/n sitting cross legged. Ying in his lap, he's unsure about going to the island but he knows it must be done. While they fly, he closes his eyes & goes into meditation where in his mind he conjures up Kyoshi's Avatar spirit. She looks at him as he's surrounded by a long never ending patch of grass.