Prologue

Typically, after school, I would pick up Theo, Oliver, Zach, and Nate

Typically, after school, I would pick up Theo, Oliver, Zach, and Nate. However, today is an exception as I am unable to go get them. Currently, I find myself at home, resting in bed, being 32 weeks pregnant with triplets. I inquired with Theo, my eldest son (11 years old), whether he could bring his three younger brothers home on his own.

He agreed, but I remained uncertain about his capability to handle it. Fortunately, my husband Brian Torres would be responsible for bringing the other kids (Sean, Robbie, and Noah) home after finishing his work, so that wasn't a concern for me.

Now, at 32 weeks pregnant, my mobility was limited, and I found myself constantly exercising caution, anticipating the onset of contractions that might signal the need for a trip to the hospital.

Theo was eagerly looking forward to meeting his three new brothers. From the start, we were aware that it was likely to be a set of triplets, with Brian secretly hoping for a girl. However, that scenario did not unfold, and it never will. After these three, I will have a total of ten kids – more than enough. Don't get me wrong, I love all nine of them dearly.

Now that I have all the time in the world, I'm patiently awaiting Theo and his brothers to return home. I've baked a cake, knowing how much they adore it. They consistently proclaim it as the best cake in the world, and as a mother, I'm delighted to hear such compliments from my sons.

Finally, I hear the doorbell, hoping it's the boys. However, to my surprise, when I reach the door, I find my father-in-law with Robbie, Noah, and Sean. "Where is Brian?" I inquire. "He asked me to go get them; he needs to take care of something quickly," he responds. I nod, allowing my sons to come in. After saying goodbye to my father-in-law, I warmly greet my three sons.

I give them all a warm hug and say, "Hey lovelies, how was your day, boys?" The youngest, Noah, excitedly shares, "It was so fun! There was this new girl, and she was so sweet to me." Noah, being 3 years old, is in his first year of kindergarten. Sean eagerly chimes in, "I made a guitar today. Miss Ava said I would be a good guitarist in the future!" With enthusiasm, he mimics guitar movements with his arms and bursts into laughter. Robbie, the quieter one, simply smiles, but I can see that he had a good time today.

After they hung their coats in the closet and placed their shoes on the rack, I guide them to the kitchen. With excitement, they take their seats around the large table, aware that they are in for a treat. Typically, upon returning home, they enjoy a snack like a biscuit or fruit, and today is no exception. I hand each of them a piece of the cake I baked earlier, and they immediately dig in.

While they are savoring their cake, the doorbell rings once more. I am confident it's my other sons. Upon opening the door, there they are, all smiles. I welcome them in, expressing my gratitude to Theo. With the broadest smile, he embraces me, while the others chime in with a casual "hey mom" before heading to the kitchen.

I give Theo three slices of cake to share with Oliver, Zach, and Nate, and he takes a piece for himself. "Boys, if you need me, I'll be in the living room. I need to lay down for a second," I inform them. As I walk to the couch, Oliver follows me with a concerned look. I smile at him and lie down, and he takes a blanket, gently placing it on top of me. "I love you, Mommy," he says. "I love you too, Ollie." He smiles, but it quickly fades, and the concerned look returns. "Are you hurt?" he asks. "I'm fine, dear. Your baby brothers are having the time of their lives, probably wrestling with each other," I laugh. He joins in the laughter and lays his head on my belly. "I hear them!" he says excitedly.