I Don't Dance

Chapter 3
Everyone cheered when he walked through the doors. The sound of women's heals and men's beers chimmed in Steve's head. Peggy walked ahead of him while she held his hand weaving through the crowd. His nerves were overwhelming him and he froze.

Peggy stopped and turned around to face him. "Is something wrong, Captain?" She asked. Her eyes were a dark drown that sparkled every time the light touched them. Steve had to look away so he could not get lost in them. He glanced down at his shoes and could see the people around him dancing. "I still don't know how to dance."

She took his hand and placed it on her hip and grabbed the other and intertwined it with hers. "Don't worry. I'll teach you." She assured him.

Steve was lost in her eyes the entire song. All he could see was the two of them. The rest of the world faded away. He stepped on her toes a few times but he never took his eyes off of her.

The song unfortunately ended and the couple was interrupted by a rowdy group of soldiers at the bar. Steve walked over to the bar to break up the fight but got socked in the face. He stumbled down to the floor but quickly stood up.

"Gentleman, if you could please leave the premises I'm sure you would most appreciate it." Peggy interrupted. Her hand gun was loaded and pointed at the crowd of rowdy soldiers.

"And what are you gonna do? You're just a girl." One of the men sarcastically asked.

Peggy shot the beer bottle in the man's hand and it shattered remains fell to the floor. "I missed on purpose. Don't make me fire again." Peggy threatened and the men slowly dragged them self out of the building.

Peggy put her gun away and drew her attention back to Steve who was sitting at a corner table holding his left eye. "Can I get some ice?" She asked the bar tender as she pointed to the table.

She walked over and sat across from him. "How's your face?" She asked. Steve removed his hand from his face and revealed an already swollen black eye. "Oh my word, you need to put ice on that." Peggy responded. She wrapped the ice the bartender brought over in a rag and placed it over Steve's eye.

He winced at the touch of the cold ice but her warm and gentle hands soothed him. Steve looked up at the wall clock and realized it was already nine o'clock. He stood up rather quickly and accidentally startled Peggy. "We should probably head back" he suggested.

Peggy stood up from her chair and disappointedly looked down and said "Oh alright. I guess that's a good idea." She grabbed her purse and headed towards the door.

Steve could see the disappointment in her facial expression and guiltily followed her out.

The temperature must have dropped twenty degrees while they were inside. The cold wind took Peggy by surprise as she shivered with every step. Steve took off his jacket and placed it around Peggy's shoulders. "Thank you" she said.

"Listen uh... I'm sorry I kind of ruined our date. I didn't mean to get involved in the bar fight. I thought I could stop it." Steve apologized as he walked down the street with his head low and hands in his pockets.

"It's not your fault. They were ignorant bastards before they had the alcohol. You were just trying to be you. You're Captain America. You're supposed to stop fights." Peggy laughed but Steve only stared down at the sidewalk. "I's something else the matter?"

"Why did you want to go out with me?" Steve blurted out without thinking. Did I really mean to say that?

Peggy was a little shocked but replied "You're the only gentleman I know in the entire army. You brought me flowers and formally asked me on a date. No man has ever done that for me. I knew you before you became Captain America and you are the same person. I liked you before you became him. You were already a hero."

Steve glanced up at her and had this dorky smile on his face.

"What's so funny?" Peggy asked.

"You like me." Steve replied.

Peggy blushed and nodded. "That's what I said, correct?"

"Quick question. Where was your gun the whole time?" Steve asked curiously.

"Wouldn't you like to know." Peggy replied cheekily and walked a little faster up the street.

Steve caught up with her and she took his arm and the two walked back to the army base.