Part 11

Coming to the studio hungover was never a good idea. All of the noise and echos and reverb, a nightmare for a sore head. And yet the members of Greta Van Fleet staggered into the studio, worse for wear but there nonetheless.

"Why'd you guys let me drink so much?" Jake groaned quietly, rubbing his eyes under his sunglasses, jostling them off his nose. Every member of the band had dark sunglasses protecting them from the fluorescent lighting that flickered.

"We all drank that much." Danny muttered back, rubbing his temples. As they got closer to the studio, music was already playing, causing them to stop. The sounds of a guitar tuning up and someone hitting on drums lazily wandered down the hall to them, muffled through the walls and door.

"Did we get the time wrong?" Sam asked, looking to his brothers.

"No, surprisingly, we're on time." Josh moved towards the door, hangover be damned, he wasn't going to let someone take up their studio time and space. Swinging open the door, the rest of the band of brothers filed into the recording studio, standing behind the producer. There were a few others in the room today, but the boys ignored the people around.

Looking into the performance space, they saw Harlow, dressed a flow black dress with layered, asymmetrical hems. A black, lace shawl covered her shoulders and arms, cascading down into bell sleeves at her hands. Behind her were the Blue Jean Babies, focused on their instruments.

Billy and Harlow shared a look before beginning to harmonize together as Billy finger-picked his guitar strings while their drummer steadily thumped the kick drum. The music felt like what you'd hear in a western standoff, staring down the barrel of your enemy's gun. Exactly what Harlow was going for.

"Listen to the wind blow, watch the sun rise

Running in the shadows, damn your love, damn your lies."

No one pretended not to look directly at Sam. Six eyes set on him, sending his skin aflame. Harlow's voice was rougher than he'd heard it before, her eyes piercing through the dark glass between them as she stared daggers.

"And if you don't love me now

You will never love me again

I can still hear you saying

You would never break the chain (never break the chain)"

"I told you," Jake mumbled to Josh, recognizing the words she was singing as the one song in the kitchen, the one she never sang out loud that night. "He's never gonna live this down."

"And if you don't love me now (you don't love me now)

You will never love me again

I can still hear you saying (still hear you saying)

You would never break the chain (never break the chain)"

Sam made a move towards the door to the recording studio, to stop this in it's tracks when Danny's hand on his shoulder firmly held him in place.

"No, you're gonna listen to this." Danny told him, a stern look on his face. Sam clenched his jaw, turning back to the performance space, as Harlow and the Blue Jean Babies went into another verse.

"Listen to the wind blow, down comes the night

Running in the shadows, damn your love, damn your lies

Break the silence, damn the dark, damn the light

And if you don't love me now

You will never love me again