𝒊𝒗

. 。・゜✭・.・✫゜・。.. 。・゜✭・.・✫゜・。.

❝  IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT,
DO IT YOURSELF .  
- CHARLES-GUILLAUME ÉTIENNE

. 。・゜✭・.・✫゜・。.. 。・゜✭・.・✫゜・。.

"SHAYLEIGH ISLEDUST." CAPTAIN FITZGIBBONS READ from the death roll. you still felt queasy.

"ginko tarragon." you stood straight. a black turtle under your corset that mira gifted you. a single four pointed star on the collarbone of the shirt. a fourth wing patch on your shoulder ,

"akari whitlock." they had a long list, longer than usual. 

"kelilah laurier." captain fitzgibbons closes the scroll he read from. "we command their souls to malek." malek, the god of death. the squad leaders turn to address their squads. 

"hopefully you all ate breakfast, because you're not going to have another chance before lunch." he looks around to everyone, including you but quickly looks away. "second- and third-years, i'm assuming you know where to go." there's murmurs of agreement ahead as first years stood in the back. "first-years, at least one of you should have memorized your academic schedule when it was handed out yesterday." dains voice booms over to the huddled firrst years. "stick together. i expect you all to be alive when we meet this afternoon in the sparring gym," 

your breath is sucked out of your lungs , shit. you were barely trained, this was going to shit for you real quick. 

"and if we're not?" some smart-ass first-year asked. 

"then i won't be concerned with learning your name, since it will be read off tomorrow morning." a second year snorts, your throat went a little dry at that moment. 

"sawyer?" his eyes point to a first year a few people away from you. 

"i'll get them there." you furrowed your brows as sympathy filled your emotions. he was  repeated after not being picked for the threshing. he now had to re-do the entire year. 

"get going." dain orders. everyone from their squads breaks, forming large groups of cadets forming in the courtyard, the second- and third-years walking somewhere else. 

"we have about twenty minutes to get to class," sawyer cuts through our conversation, he looks over it. "fourth floor, second room, on the left in the academic wing. get your shit and don't be late." he doesn't stay a second longer as he heads to the dormitory. 

a second later you heard a yelp from your right. you shot your head over, seeing the brunette juno was eyeing with his hands on her shoulders, he was also in the fourth wing. they seemed to know each other. 

"junie, what are you doing here?!" he said, his stubbled jaw clenched. 

"i- i-" she struggled for words. 

"who the hell are you?" you snapped at him. his gaze shifts to you. 

"i'm her brother, who the fuck are you?" you stopped. biting back your snarky remarks. 

"her friend." 

"your name?" he stood up straight, more than a foot taller than you, tower over you. 

"emery." you shoved down your fear, standing straight. he raised an eyebrow. 

"as in emery sorrengail?" he questions, you see kaylene and juno go wide eyed.