Part I

The smell of war was prudent.

It was not a smell I was costumed towards; being the third in line for the crown of our quiet island. However dark times call for dark measures and I was the one sacrificed for war. If I did not die, and King Icarus had not a need for me, then I should die at war for a homeland that all but banished me.

For they should pray I do die. The concern of my living would cost them theirs – revenge is something not to trend lightly. My own revenge extends to the sounds of the villagers weeping and the blood of my so-called family staining my clothes.

"Aye lads!" Called out our General, Calix, "Take one good look! We're the new front lines since Kingsley and his crew got their ass handed to them." Calix curled his lip in disgust at the mention of his former General. There had been quiet the bad blood between the two men. I never bothered to figure out why.

Calix called us to move onwards, through the valley of butchered men, I had to watch my footing carefully. The rucksack I carried was heavy anyway and stumbling on hacked body parts would not help me keep my footing anymore then it was. The great island of Cicero was massive in size and length. Though huge with tropical rainforests, sandy deserts, and high mountain tops our people stuck to the outer edge of the island.

Easier to run away. The cowards.

"You look pissy," I jerked my head to the right to give my glare at the only friend I've managed to make at the camp. Not that I was trying to make friends. I avoided everyone to keep a low profile, only Calix knew of my family, but Cy somehow snuck through my defenses.

"Aye," I sighed with a roll of my eyes as I lifted my calloused hand to brush back my bright blonde hair that tried to dangle in my seafoam green eyes. "Thinking about idiots." I admitted making Cy smirk in amusement.

"Then don't think about 'em!" He boasted. "Think of what their heads would look like when you strangle 'em hard enough they pop off like a cork on a wine bottle!" He cheered before turning to walk backwards, to face the other men, "DEATH TO THE GREEKS!" He shouted loudly making the men in our camp shout and scream loudly in agreement.

"We're Greeks." I deadpanned with an eye roll. Cy snorted at me and gave me a defiant look. "Yeah, but Adrian we're the good Greeks. Duh." He sassed with a look as he tossed his red hair out of his dark eyes. How Cy ended up in this war was a mystery. I was young to be in war, at only seventeen years of life, not even a man and I had no doubt Cy was younger than me. It just went further to prove how moonstruck my father had become.

"If you lads don't shut yer mouths you won't have to worry of Icarus' army I'll kill yer myself!!" Calix hissed angrily looking around to see if all the screaming had given away our position – which I was sure it had. Then again us marching around wasn't exactly quiet either, but Calix would not see my reasoning, and would more likely pop me 'round the head so I stayed quiet.

"Ah, don't be a sourpuss, Calix." Cy said in good nature rolling his dark eyes and smiling innocently. "It isn't attractive." He said smartly making me snort and arch an eyebrow at him in concern. Calix was not really a problem, or even unattractive, but he was not the kind of man who went around looking for other men. Even if he did I had no doubt he'd break Cy like a twig on the first try with all his bulging muscles and bear-like persona.

"Ew," Someone grumbled behind me, obvious towards Cy and his failed attempt at romance, which I was glad it went unanswered. Cy, unfortunately, heard the disapproval as well and spun around in rebellion. "IO! Shut up!"

"You shut up! Homosexuality is disgusting and sinful! God said-" The homophobe man snarled before he was cut off by the solider next to him. "Fuck your God!" He spat in disgust that far rivaled the homophobes'. "This isn't a war for Christians! We're Greek damnit!"