Chapter 31 Pronoun Paradox

Oz Wyllt P.O.V

"So, these are the mortals my dad was defending? Why the magic show when this is clearly a circus?" I scoffed, my disdain barely masked as Lorraine and I navigated through the crowd.

"They all look like prey to me," Lorraine replied, her hunger barely contained beneath her calm exterior.

I flashed a smirk at her response. " That's right, you haven't fed,"

"Find anyone appealing besides me?" I teased.

"You're not helping," she shot back, her irritation evident.

As my gaze stayed fixed on Lorraine, I accidentally bumped into a man, causing him to stumble. He wore a brightly colored rainbow shirt and seemed unusually agitated by our encounter.

I wasn't one for polite apologies. Instead, I gave a dismissive wave, expecting the incident to pass. But he wasn't having any of it. He jumped up, his irritation sharp and almost theatrical.

"Can you not watch where you're going?" he snapped, his voice high and annoyed.

The audacity of this mortal.

"Calm down, young man," I said, attempting to defuse the situation with a casual tone.

He scoffed, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Did you just call me a man?"

I blinked, genuinely confused. "Aren't you?" I gestured vaguely at his lower half.

"I'm nonbinary," he declared with an air of defiance.

Lorraine and I exchanged puzzled glances.

"You can have him," I said to Lorraine with a teasing grin, relishing the discomfort of the situation. She rolled her eyes, clearly unimpressed with my suggestion.

"Move," Lorraine said sharply, her patience wearing thin.

"I'm sorry, did you just disrespect they/them?" a new voice chimed in, clearly outraged.

"They/them?" I raised an eyebrow. What was this new wrinkle in the mess?

"Who else?" I asked, and the person pointed back to the rainbow-shirted individual.

"You mean him?" I said, pointing, and a few gasps rippled through the gathered crowd.

"Get your pronouns right," the rainbow-shirted guy demanded with an air of authority.

Corrected.

By a mortal.

My temper flared. "Apologize with your words," he insisted, his tone firm.

I shot a look at Lorraine. "You can have all of them," I said, my voice cold and decisive.

"We are not apologizing," Lorraine snapped back, her stance as firm as mine.

"Why do you address like a woman, though?" I asked, not realizing the depth of my mistake until the gasps grew louder.

Was everything I said destined to offend?

Suddenly, someone pulled out a phone and started recording the scene. The unexpected twist of being filmed added a layer of absurdity to the already chaotic situation. Offended pronouns, unapologetic attitudes, and a crowd eager to capture the drama on camera—it was a mess of our making, and we were stuck in the middle of it.

What had we gotten ourselves into?

Zoe Lawson P.O.V

The tension in the room crackled like static as Theodore's voice cut through the silence. "I want you to take another ultrasound."

"No," I replied firmly, my tone betraying the weariness I felt.

"Why should I revisit a scan that once held life?" I asked, the lie tasting bitter and heavy in my mouth. I was desperate to hold onto the fragile thread of my deception, even as the weight of it grew unbearable. "I need to know," he insisted, his voice trembling with an undercurrent of fear that hinted at something deeper.

"What if I am telling you the truth?" I challenged, my attempt to cling to the last vestiges of my falsehood feeling increasingly tenuous.

"If you are, then I will believe you," he said, his voice weary and resigned. It mirrored the exhaustion that had seeped into my own soul, making each exchange a grueling dance of lies and half-truths.

"There is nothing inside of me!" I cried out, the words echoing with a hollow sense of loss. Even though the emptiness was a fabrication, the emotional weight of it felt all too real. Why was he relentlessly pursuing a truth that never existed?

"It's just one ultrasound," he begged, desperation lining his voice. His pleading made me sigh, the exhaustion evident in the sound. I was drained from this relentless pursuit, from the constant juggling of truth and deception.

"Fine," I conceded, my tone flat. I agreed just to silence his persistent questioning, not that there was anything to find. The emptiness inside me was as fabricated as the stories I spun.

As I begrudgingly agreed to the ultrasound, the surreal weight of the situation pressed heavily on me. The truth was an elusive shadow, and the dance of deception felt more like a trap closing in on me.

Lorraine Tepes P.O.V

The sudden arrival of a woman brought an abrupt tension to the scene, causing Oz to stiffen visibly. Did he know her? The question hung in the air as I watched his reaction.

"We gotta go," Oz said urgently, his grip on my wrist firm as he tried to pull me away. His voice was laced with a sharp edge of panic that only intensified my unease.

Before we could make a move, "Not so easy," a few assertive figures stepped into our path, blocking our escape. The air thickened with their presence, and my heart raced with a growing sense of foreboding.

"Move before I move each and every one of you myself," Oz warned, his voice dripping with an authority that sent shivers down my spine. His threat was so chillingly serious that it felt like the very atmosphere around us had turned icy.

The woman who had entered the scene approached, her gaze fixed intently on us. "What do we have here?" she inquired, her voice smooth but carrying an undertone of curiosity.

As we turned to face her, her watch began to beam erratically, casting erratic flashes of light. She glanced at it, surprise flickering across her face, before her eyes locked onto Oz with a piercing intensity.

"Look who it is," she said, a smirk curling at the corners of her lips. "Or should I say, what it is."