Prologue

Proverbs 3: 5 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

Matthew saw the woman across the room and could not take his eyes away from her. It was not lust or infatuation. It was immensely hard for him to explain in words. Suddenly, he felt connected to her and wanted simply to care and protect her. He was praying intensely for a wife and asked God's direction to find her. Matthew reminded himself to be more specific with his prayers. The woman looked unavailable, and sad all at the same time. Her male companion was hovering over her and she seemed annoyed by his presence.

Matthew continued to ask the Holy Spirit if he was correct. How could this woman be his future? Matthew heard his inner voice reveal several things to him. "Man looks at the outside but I look at the heart" "I see who you are and do not reflect on your past but who I have called you to be." Matthew knew he had proven God time and time again when it came to making difficult decisions. He was an advocate of trusting God for the impossible and the unpredictable because of his plans to do good.

Matthew walked across the room to get a better view of the woman and her companion. He did not mean to eavesdrop but he felt compelled to be there. Their exchange seemed to go unnoticed by the numerous persons attending the event.

"Are you done? I am tired of your domineering, condescending, and narcissistic attitude," she said crossly. "Savannah, if you make a scene, you will regret it," he barked yanking at her arm roughly.

Matthew prayed he was not overstepping but he hated to see a woman in distress. "Are you okay ma'am?" Matthew said surprising Savannah who was unaware of his presence.

The last thing she wanted was a knight in shining armor to save her. Every man she had met always wanted something in return. What was this strangers memo? But his soft, brown eyes were strikingly kind and different. He looked too clean-cut for her and was shocked that he would even look at someone like her.

"Mine your own business," the man said. "This does not concern you," Savannah hoped the warning would prompt the gentleman to go away and not bite off more than than he could handle.

"It concerns me because I hate to see anyone in distress," Matthew continued. Why does he not get a hint? Savannah thought hoping he would go away for his own safety.

This charity event was the last place to make a scene. "I'm good," Savannah said hoping he would leave. Savannah's companion continued to pull on her irritating Matthew even more.

"I think you need to take your hands off her," Matthew said stepping in the middle.

"Who is this clown? It seems you have an admirer. If you want my cheap leftovers you can have her?" he stated angrily.

Matthew wondered why she would be around a man who was so rude, and disrespectful to her.

Before Matthew could say anything else, he was ambushed by two men into a back room causing Savannah to gasp. This is what she was trying to protect him from. She was not worth him getting hurt over.

Matthew did not condone fighting unless it was defense. He got hit unexpectedly but did not go down. His classes in self-defense sent the goons fleeing in the end leaving him with Savannah.

"I don't need a knight in shining armor. I can take care of myself," she barked and scolded him. Savannah escorted Matthew to a quiet room to clean the blood from his mouth.

"If you know what's good for you stay away from me," she warned.