0.6

☼ wait for it ☼

Today was the first day of the competition and Alex Jones was secretly shitting herself. She seemed collected on the outside but her mind was going crazy. Last night she was stress-cooking like no other—she got yelled at by Manu telling her to go to sleep at 10:30–

She sat in a chair under their designated canopy tent. Earphones in her ears, music blasting. She tried to block out any sounds focusing on calming her nerves. Letting the rhythm of the song take over, distracting her from said nerves.

She was interrupted when someone pulled one of her buds out from her ear. "Whatcha listening too?" She looked over to see Baxter.

"No Hands by Waka Flocka flame."

"Interesting choice before a comp." Baxter teased her, sitting down in the chair beside her.

"Oi, I listen to what I want to listen." She defended with a playful glare. She pulled her other bud out, packing away her earphones in her bag.

"Gang, why do I get the feeling that you're all getting distracted?" Elo spoke up, making everyone gather around her. "Listen, this is our last chance before Nationals to see some of your interstate rivals in action, yeah?"

Alex agreed with Elo, nodding as she looked over at the neighbouring canopy tent.

"Yeah. Spoiler alert." Baxter started, gaining Alex's attention as she looked at him from her place beside him. "They're better than you guys." She hit his arm gently, making him look at her.

"Ouch." She whispered feigning hurt at his words. He shook his head at her action. "Sorry, sunshine. Truth hurts." He whispered back leaning down slightly to reach her ear. She felt tingles run down her spine at his action.

"—so every comp, every heat, is an opportunity. Don't waste it." Elo finished what she was saying just as the siren blared for the start of the competition.

"Alright, let's go, let's do this!" The team cheered in response to her encouragement.

"Don't accept things from strangers, Summer." Alex teased Baxter as she approached both of them. The male turned to her with a mock hurt expression.

"Come on." He started as he stared at the Jones girl. "Don't be an anti-Baxxer."

"Don't worry, I'm pro-Baxxer." She smiled at him, winking as she turned to Summer. He grinned at her with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Ready for your heat?" She knew the pressure was on the girl since she had to prove to her mother that she could win a heat.

"Yep." Summer nodded as she picked her board up. "Now, i need to go pee before my heat tho." She rushed off.

"You did amazing out there." She turned back to Baxter. She smiled at him widely, making him do the same.

"I know." He smirked, she smacked him in the stomach. "Rude." He huffed as she rolled her eyes.

"I better go, my heat is after Poppy's." Alex sighed, shaking her hands to get out the nerves.