07. Badges, Roses, & Friendship

"Ha! Found you!" Cedric's musical laughter echoed through the trees before he took in my sullen expression

"Ha! Found you!" Cedric's musical laughter echoed through the trees before he took in my sullen expression. His brows knitted together in worry as he kneeled in front of me. "Elliana, what's wrong?"

I sniffled, wiping away my tears with my sleeve. "I just... miss home," I whispered, pulling my legs to my chest. "I don't belong here, Ced."

He sat down beside me and tilted his head to the side. "You do belong here. What makes you think otherwise?"

I shook my head, feeling another wave of tears threatening to spill from my eyes. "C-Connor Reining and several other Slytherins. They keep calling me..." I trailed off, feeling a lump form in my throat.

His brows flew up his forehead. "Calling you what?" He asked slowly.

I had only been at Hogwarts for two weeks, and it wasn't what I was expecting. The majority of the students weren't so bad, but there were a select few that were making it difficult for me to adjust to this new 'magical' world. I had never had trouble in school back home. For the most part, I was able to make friends with anyone. I wasn't used to being singled out and made fun of like this.

"A-A Mudblood," I whispered hoarsely, a solitary tear sliding down my face.

His grey eyes glinted angrily, flashing silver. A sob broke forth from my chest. I missed home so badly that it physically hurt. He wrapped his arm around me in a comforting embrace, and I rested my head against his shoulder and continued to cry.

"I just want to go home," I spoke quietly as tears rolled my face.

He gave me a gentle squeeze, hugging me tighter. "You are home, Elliana."

His words caused my heart to warm in my chest. He leaned back slightly to peer down at me. His stormy skies locked with mine, and I forgot how to breathe.

"Reining and his gang aren't going to say another word to you, I assure you. Leave it to me." His voice was soft and gentle, yet stern.

He used his robe to wipe at my tear-stained face, and I couldn't stop a smile from flitting to my lips. I leaned my head against his shoulder once more and inhaled deeply. He smelled of cinnamon. In that moment, I realized that he was right- I was home.

***

A gasp flew through my lips when I took note of the badges that most of my fellow Hufflepuffs were wearing. At first glance, it reads 'Support Cedric Diggory— The Real Hogwarts Champion" in luminous red letters. Then, it proceeds to flash to 'Potter Stinks' in glowing green letters. I walked across the common room towards Robin, a close friend of Natalie's.

"Where did you get that?" I asked, pointing to the badge she was proudly wearing.

She grinned from ear to ear. "The Slytherins are giving them out. Isn't it great?"