A blur...

Chapter 3

The next hour felt like absolute chaos. As Carlos struggled to breathe, and at Dashawn’s outburst, all heads in the restaurant were turned towards the scene. There were at least five different phones out to alert emergency services. It took less than ten minutes for medical personnel to arrive at the scene. At this point, Carlos was turning extremely pale in the face, and he looked terrified. Dashawn felt absolutely terrible about what had happened, and at Carlos’ gesture, took his hand to provide him some sort of comfort. A paramedic took an epi pen from their bag and jammed it into Carlos's leg. The pain was overwhelming to him, and his grip on Dashawn's hand was enough to cut off the circulation. The paramedics asked if someone would be willing to accompany Carlos to the hospital, and Dashawn was quick to volunteer. Now that Carlos was beginning to be able to breathe again, things felt like they were happening in slow motion. Dashawn was in a daze as he sat next to Carlos in the ambulance, keeping hold of his hand. About halfway to the hospital, Carlos looked over. “Dashawn?” He asked, “yes?” Dashawn answered, feeling relieved that his friend was able to talk. “I'm glad you were here to help me through this, you're a great dude.” This left Dashawn feeling guilty and a little bit stunned, and he couldn't even respond. Carlos closed his eyes to rest and the rest of the ride to the hospital was silent.