Chapter 1: My Treat

Jesse begrudgingly exited the room where he kept his secret project, letting out an agitated sigh. All those hours, days, WEEKS, of work. Only for all of it to just die. Much like that patient, he supposed. He was very lucky he only had operations during the afternoon, leaving him to go get lunch. There was a quaint little cafe down the street that he'd been curious about.

Upon entering the lobby of the hospital, he spotted a familiar redhead getting ready to head out. She was out of her uniform, and had a black purse with a cute fox charm hanging off of it. She had a contemplative look on her face as she muttered to herself. Sounded like she was trying to figure out something.

That's right, it was her lunchtime too, wasn't it? Kitsune always struggled with knowing what she wanted when it came to food, unless it came to her favorite tea shop or if she's craving a particular food that day. This was just in the regular for her.

Perhaps... He could use this as an opportunity to get closer to her. That's what people do in the books, right? Hell, he had used such a plot in his own books too.

He walked towards her, reaching a friendly hand to lightly pat her shoulder.
"Hey, Kitsune?" He spoke up, catching her attention.

Her expression went from confused to pleasantly surprised. "Huh-? Oh! Hello, Jesse. Didja need something?" She asked.

Jesse chuckled, lightly shaking his head. "No, no, I don't need anything. It's more so that I wanted to ask you something." He responded.

"Oh!" Kitsune chirped. "Alright then! What is it that you wanna ask?" She gave him that same, warm smile.

Whatever nerve Jesse had to so boldly ask her out dissipated in an instant. Darn her and those warm eyes, and that sweet as candy smile. He ran his hand through his hair, suddenly finding it a bit difficult to ask. He hated to admit it, but even he knew he could be awkward sometimes- especially when it came to this girl.

"I... Uh.." His eyes wandered the hospital, struggling to keep eye-contact. "I saw you heading out for lunch, and I was wondering if... you wanted to tag along with me?" He offered, his voice quieting a little when he was finally able to get the question out.

"Oh-! Yes, I'd love to!" Kitsune chirped, happily clapping her hands together a few times. 

"Oh, thank goodness.." Jesse mumbled in relief, before looking back at her. "I mean- great! Any place in particular you want to go?" He asked.

Kitsune hummed. "Hmm... Ah, it's so hard to choose," she complained, "do you have any suggestions, Jesse?" She asked.

Jesse paused, thinking it over. "Well... There is this bistro not that far down the road. I think you'd like it." He responded.

"Okay!" The redhead chirped, standing beside him. "Lead the way, Jesse!" She beamed up at him, a small grin on her face.

The raven haired man smiled in response, leading her out of the hospital doors and down the road. The bistro wasn't much of a walk at all, and they enjoyed the extra time to talk to one another. Besides, they had an hour or so, so it was fine.

What wasn't fine, however, was the fact that a certain someone witnessed this cute little exchange. None other than the head of the hospital; as well as the head of a very secret experiment: Absinthe. She had seen the two interact, and noticed just how attached Jesse was to his colleague. Very obviously so- it was a wonder to her that Kitsune hadn't noticed somehow. Perhaps some people really are that dense, she thought.

Nevertheless, that left her with an idea. Jesse's surgical license was about to expire, and they could definitely do with a new test subject.

And wouldn't you happen to know it- she'd wind up getting two if she did this right. How lucky.