the beginning of the end.

Berlin, April 2024

"And? Excited?"

"Nervous would be more fitting," Y/n replied and rubbed her hands together.

Cate offered her co-star a reassuring smile.
"We'll be fine, I'm right next to you. If you get nervous, I'll know and step in."

Those words of comfort calmed the younger woman and — momentarily — stopped her from fidgeting with the hem of her blouse. A day filled with interviews with the German press, and an over-worried mother, waiting to have lunch with her daughter. If Y/n had been in Germany more often, the dinner part would now be one less thing that worried her.

"My mouth's dry again and I haven't even spoken yet. I'm terrible," Y/n mumbled and reached for a pre-placed water bottle, next to her seat.

"You've got to relax, this isn't your first promo for a movie after all," Cate tilted her head slightly.

"It's not. But the pressure is on when it's happening in your own country. We're judgy," Y/n replied and tried to relax into her chair.

Cate nodded understandingly and clutched Y/n's hand between hers. "Don't worry too much, I promise you, it will be fine."

A few moments later, the first interviewer came into the room, she greeted the two women with a broad smile and sat down on a chair opposite. Y/n's closed her eyes for a moment to take another deep breath before the interview would really begin. Cate sat in her chair as if she was at home on the couch, the level of relaxation was enviable.

"Very well, shall we begin?" The interviewer smiled and pulled out her notebook and a pen.

Y/n's eyes nervously wandered over to Cate, who gave her a small nod.

"Can you introduce our viewers to the movie? Maybe a little summary would do?" The woman motioned with her hand; either of them could answer.

Since Y/n stayed silent for a while, contemplating her answer, Cate had already taken over for this part and began talking as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Maybe because it was.

"It's about two women," she motioned her hands between herself and Y/n, "Who live in Eastern Germany in the 60's. Both of them meet on a weekly market and along their friendship, they decide to flee from their homes; together, in hopes of finding freedom. They travel by car, through Germany, Austria and Italy."

"So, what genre would you categorise this movie as?" The interviewer asked in response and pierced Y/n with her eyes.

Y/n hummed softly before she decided to speak up.
"It's a good mix of drama and comedy. Our characters go through all emotional stages and they end up finding their true selves. And I think we did a pretty good job in adding a few laughs here and there," she replied.

Suddenly the nervousness subsided and it became more enjoyable talking to the interviewer. Cate gave a small thumbs up in her lap when Y/n briefly looked over at her.

"So can the audience look forward to a range of your acting skills?"

"I think so. It was exhausting, but looking back it was all worth it," Cate replied, placing her hands, one on top of the other, on her left knee.

It took a moment for Y/n to realize that she was supposed to answer the question as well. The waiting gaze of the woman opposite her finally snapped her out of her thoughts.

"I agree with that. I think we got the most out of ourselves and made the movie what it is, which hopefully is good."

An hour later, the first three interviews were completed and the two had a moment of peace.