Last Lunch.

After the exhausting dinner with her mum, Y/n slouched out of the elevator and towards her hotel room. Hearing her talk about how she was doing online dating now and having had three as of yet, was first of all uncomfortable for her to listen to and second of all T.M.I, since her mum didn't withhold a single detail from these dates.

Tomorrow would be the first day off in a long time, Y/n could focus on reading a book she had wanted to read for a long time, and in the afternoon it called for a nice hot bath.

Her phone buzzed on the nightstand, and if she didn't need a distraction from the whole dinner conversation that badly, she would've checked it in the morning. Y/n turned slightly to reach for her mobile, opening her messages.

"Sorry to have left this abruptly earlier. I had to sort something out. How was dinner?"

It was a message from Cate, and in a matter of seconds, Y/n's tense muscles seemed to have relaxed a tad bit. Her eyes roamed around the hotel room — beige colours and amidst a single red leather couch. That's how she imagined a porn set to look like. Momentarily her eyes lingered on the couch before she pulled herself out of the trail of thoughts.

"Dinner was fine. I hope you're alright though. Do you need anything?"

Y/n typed the message and sat down her phone again, pushing herself off the bed. The vibe of the day was off and all she wanted to do was sleep it off and start tomorrow fresh. Pulling out a set of pyjamas from her closet, she headed for the bathroom, got changed and soon found herself under her sheets. Without the light on, the Berlin skyline partly illuminated the room. It looked peaceful at the moment, making her stare right outside the window for a long while.

A new notification came in and she swiped up to open the message.

"I am okay. Shall we have a redo on lunch tomorrow? Maybe at 1?"

A small smile tugged on Y/n's lips before she decided to reply. It was once again that her plans were interrupted, but this time it was a pleasant interruption, one she could gladly live with.

"Sure. 1 sounds great, you pick the place. Meet you at half past 12 in the lobby?"

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The night was far too short, and although the hotel was not one of the usual crowded ones, there was still rumble and constant chatter in the corridors shortly after half past four in the morning. Not even the earplugs could block out the noise and so Y/n has been half asleep ever since.

"Will you be downstairs in ten minutes?"

Cate had sent her a message and Y/n almost wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't been looking at her display at that very moment.

"Sure. I'm just going to find a jacket and then I'll be downstairs."

She tapped "send" and pushed herself up from her bed, facing the difficult decision of whether a coat or a cardigan would be enough for today.

Since yesterday afternoon, communicating with Cate felt different, Y/n just couldn't put her finger on it. As if there was an invisible wall blocking something. Weeks before everything had been a little closer, since they had been here something had changed, as if a distance had crept into their friendship. For whatever reason. Y/n felt uncomfortable even bringing the whole thing up, maybe it was just her seeing it as a friendship and Cate seeing it as a somewhat closer work acquaintance.

With a cardigan in tow, Y/n finally stood in the hotel lobby at half past twelve and waited for Cate. The floor was covered with a dark red carpet while the rest of the furnishings were a light beige colour with a few golden accents here and there.