The Sleepover

It was a beautiful day. Summer had just begun, the flowers were in full bloom and the birds were chirping. Amber and Kristen stood outside their best friend Rebecca's front door, dressed in their finest summer attire, giggling like schoolgirls as they nervously clutched at the small overnight bags they had packed for the weekend. The air was thick with anticipation and excitement, as they prepared to embark on the adventure that would mark the beginning of the rest of their lives; the end of high school and the start of a new chapter. But before they could properly begin this new journey, they needed to celebrate their graduation in style, the way they had started every other summer break; with a sleepover.

The door opened and the girls rushed in to give their friend a big hug. Although the idea of a sleepover at their age was a bit silly, they couldn't contain their excitement. It was the perfect way to celebrate not only this milestone in life, but also their life long friendship, which they vowed to keep strong no matter what the future held. And with Rebecca's parents out of town for the weekend, they had the whole house to themselves. There would be no one telling them to quiet down when they laughed uncontrollably at two o'clock in the morning. It was the weekend they had always wished for when they were younger, and they weren't going to let their age stop them from making the most out of it.

They spent the afternoon and early evening reminiscing about their favorite childhood memories, laughing at the embarrassing stories they had all but forgotten over the years, and dreaming about all the incredible things they hoped to achieve in the future. As the night progressed, the girls decide to play a game of truth or dare. It was the same game they had played a hundred times before, but tonight felt different; like one last chance to enjoy their youth.

Their friendship had grown stronger over the years, and they had been through so much together. They had faced heartbreak and triumph, disappointment and joy, and now, as they stood on the precipice of adulthood, they knew that whatever the future held, they would face it together. The dares became more daring, the truths more revealing, and the bond between them seemed to grow stronger with each passing moment.

As the last bits of light faded from the sky, the girls decided it was time to change into their pajamas. It had always been a tradition during their sleepovers, spending hours together in the comfort of their nightwear. Being comfortable in front of each other in such a vulnerable state was one of the things that brought them closer. Amber and Kristen headed to the bathroom to change, exchanging knowing glances as they closed the door behind them. They both understood that Rebecca preferred to change in private. It was something they had grown accustomed to over the years, and they never made a big deal out of it. They respected her privacy and knew that she had her reasons. They had a pretty good idea what those reasons were, but it was clear that she wasn't ready to open up about it, so they never pressed her on it.

When they emerged from the bathroom, they saw that Rebecca's bedroom door was partly open, a sign that she was ready and they could come in. As they casually walked in, they immediately knew they had made a mistake.