𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒆, imaginary

❛ What's the worst that could happen? ❜

What's the worst that could happen?

chapter thirty nine.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

    WHEN SCARLETT awakens, she has no clue how long she's been out but the agony from her the wound on her collarbone continues to bring fresh tears to her eyes as she forced herself to look down at the damage. Her lip wobbles as she runs her gaze over the burnt skin. She's spent years looking in the mirror at the tattoo, and she'd always curse Jax for coercing into getting it done with him but now as she stares at where the delicate writing used to be, she wishes she'd cherished it more before it was gone.

"You can always get another one," A familiar voice speaks from the dark corner of the basement.

Scarlett flinches at the sudden words and her head swings around as she searches for the person who just spoke. She recognises the voice, but it's impossible for them to be stood in the room with her.

"Maybe the new one could go on your arm to match his placement," They speak again, "Or is that too openly romantic for you?"

Scarlett squints frantically through the darkness of the far corners as she tries to seek out the person who's speaking to her.

There's a shuffle of clothes and Scarlett feels eyes burn right back into hers as she shivers in the chains, "Not speaking?" The person asks in surprise, "You usually have so much to say. No matter what you always have something to say," They scoff, "That bastard really has fucked you up. And I mean your father, not Jackson."

After hearing the longer sentences, it's impossible for Scarlett to shake the thought that the person speaking is someone who was pronounced dead months ago, "Donna?" Her voice croaks through the hollow basement.

A pair of boots hit the floor and after a few slow clicks of the heels, Donna Winston presents herself in front of Scarlett. Her arms are folded over herself and she's dressed in the exact same clothing as the night of the incident with her brown haired tied loosely back in a ponytail.

With wide terrified eyes, Scarlett's head begins to shake, "You're not. . . You're not real."

Donna sighs, settling down on the bottom step of the stairs leading up to the basement door that are directly opposite Scarlett, "Obviously I'm not," She says, "You watched me get shot through the head. There's no way of coming back from that."

"I'm fucking insane," Scarlett forces out a choked laugh and she drops her chin to her chest, "He's— He's made me fucking insane."