Chapter Thirty-Seven: My Soldiers, Rage

Elijah

"Elijah? Can you take my place?"

"...What?" I look to the boy, stunned.

"I just have no idea...what to do... I should have taken your word. I was wrong reading Bertholdt and look where it got us. Elijah, you're better suited for this!"

"..." I shake off that fear that still has a hold on me after five years. I should be like Eren and beat the shit out of myself so that scared little kid is good as gone. I nod to Armin, then look to the group as a whole. "The river. Move to the river. We'll ride Eren to conserve our gas." We board Eren, and he begins to move. At the same time, so does Bertholdt. "Eren, at some point, we'll have to get Bertholdt's attention, but until then, don't let him see you. And Armin, I'm all right at reading situations, but I'm too angry to come up with a reasonable plan to deal with Bertholdt that doesn't definitely kill us. And I don't really what to do... To that end, I am counting on you. We all are, okay?"

I have no idea what I'm doing, but then again, I never really did... But it never stopped me before, so I don't know how it possibly can now! Bertholdt, if you believe that we all really have to die, so be it.

One way or another, we will kill you.

Levi

"We're done cleaning up here. The only small ones left are the ones way at the front. Still, how will we take down the Beast Titan? He's perfectly content sitting way over there, not moving an inch."

Levi nods. "Yeah, it seems he's a coward. Not like he had balls to begin with."

Dirk chuckles. "You take a break. We'll mop up the rest of the small ones. Let's go!"

"Roger!"

Levi watches as Dirk Squad advances to the edge of town, where the remaining small Titans are. He then turns to the wall behind him, where his squadron and Hange's are. Black smoke rises to the sky after the enormous eruption that happened minutes ago. The commander, from his position on top of the wall, is a little green dot. "What was that explosion? What happened to those guys? Did Hange and the others avoid it? Is Petra alright? I gotta hurry to that side and-" In Levi's sight, a small pebble flies by, going at high speed toward the wall. That pebble multiplies by two, then four, then eight, then innumerable as Levi hears the drums of destruction and the unharmonious song of death from the Scouts. As the noise dies out, only a cloud of blood covers the town. Looking further ahead, Levi can see the Beast standing up.

"Hmm... That one was a little bit high. Oh, leave it right there... Well, the first pitch was a warm-up. I'm going for a perfect game!"

"Frontal bombardment! All troops, take cover!"

Levi ignores the order from the commander, worrying about the Scouts in the frontline. "Shit! You guys!" However, before he can reach them, he's forced to take cover in an alley as the Beast throws another round, caking the skies even redder. Once it sounds safe to move, Levi heads for the Scout recruits and the horses.