Chapter Three

Snow Explains Her Connection with the Di Angelos

🍎

Mama! Why can’t I read words like the other kids?” 

“Oh…sweetie it’s–you read words differently because you’re dyslexic.” 

“Dys-Disle-um…Esle–

“Dyslexic baby. It means that sometimes…words can be hard to understand. Notice how you tend to mistake words for another, or unintentionally skip sentences?” 

“Yeah.”

“That’s what it means in simple terms.”

“But I don’t want to be dyslexic! Kids are meanies to me already, I don’t want to have another weirdness!” 

Snow blinked in confusion. Why did that moment spring up like that? She shook the thought away. Considering their current situation, it wasn’t the time for reminiscing. After Artemis introduced herself, Snow wasn’t surprised. She knew all about her and the Hunters and to say she has some issues with them would be an understatement. 

And it doesn’t help that Zoe won’t stop giving her and Thalia the stink eye. 

After Percy’s stupefied answer, Grover responded vastly differently. He dug his knees in the snow and stammered, “Thank you, Lady Artemis! You’re so…you’re so…wow!” 

“Get up, Goat boy!” Thalia snapped. “We have other things to worry about. Annabeth is gone!” 

“Whoa,” Bianca said. “Hold up. Time out.”

Everybody looked at her. She pointed her finger at all of them in turn, like she was trying to connect the dots. “Who…who are you people?” 

Artemis’s expression softened. “It might be a better question, my dear girl, to ask who are you! Who are your parents?” 

Bianca glanced nervously at her brother, who was still staring at Artemis in awe. 

“Our parents are dead,” she said. “We’re orphans. There’s a bank trust that pays for our school, but…” 

Bianca faltered. Taking in everyone’s looks that made it seem like they didn’t believe her. In truth, they understood why those answers came out of her mouth, but everyone but them were aware that was not completely the reality of their lives. 

“What?” she demanded. “I’m telling the truth.” 

Snow felt sympathy. She remembered when she was told of the other half of her heritage. The confusion of it was like the world was suddenly spinning. Everything coming from her mother's mouth made no sense and it was a little frightening in a way. 

“You are a half-blood,” Zoe Nightshade said. Her accent and way of speaking was very outdated, mainly old-European which was interesting. All those centuries seeing the world change and adapt, she still managed to keep the language that she grew up with when she was mortal. 

“Only one of thy parents was mortal. The other was an Olympian.” she continued. 

“An Olympian…athlete?” 

“No,” Zoe said. “One of the gods.” 

“Cool!” Nico said.

“No!” Bianca’s voice quivered. “This is not cool!” 

Nico proceeded to dance around. It was amazing to see the different reaction between the siblings. “Does Zeus really have lightning bolts that do six hundred damage? Does he get extra movement points for–”