10

Shu walked through the dirt path that led to the leisure room. It was now around 10pm. A couple of the cabins still had their lights on, but Shu was the only one who was outside at the time. He saw the lights still on in the room and a couple of figures in the room through the windows. He knocked on the door, holding his backpack straps in anticipation.

"Look who finally showed up." Orochi opened the door and nodded to the couch where Zac was sitting. A backpack sat next to Zac on the couch. Akira was sitting on a different chair across from Zac, drawing something in a notebook and not paying attention to anyone.

"You didn't give me a time; you just said tonight," Shu responded.

"Fair." Orochi walked over to the couch and sat down next to Zac, who smiled at Shu, and waved.

"Why did I come here again?" Shu asked. "What do you want to know?"

"It's not as much what I want to know, more of what I want to show you," Orochi said. "You're always looking off into the distance, talking to people, and it just happens that anytime a camper is injured, it's in an activity you lead."

"That's not-"

"I'm not accusing you of anything, just pointing it out, okay?"

Shu went over and sat next to Akira on the sofa across from the one Zac and Orochi were on. Akira looked up and said, "Oh, hey, Shu!"

"Zac, the bag?" Orochi looked at Zac, who then picked up the backpack and looked for something in it. "How long have you been going to camp here?

"Around 3 years, this being my fourth. I went with Valt and Xander the first year because I didn't want to go alone, and then other people from the beyclub - Beigoma Academy Beyclub - went with us."

"Okay." Orochi was thinking of what to say next. "You've been seeing weird things, right?"

"Yeah. Visions and glitches, and hearing things too."

"Hm, that's weird. . . Ok, what about impulses? Have you felt the need to do something even if it is wrong or something like that?"

"Um, yeah, actually. "

"And they are negative, right? Like hurting someone?"

Shu was getting more confused with every word he said. It was perfectly describing him, and what's been happening. "Wait, how do you know this stuff? What's going on with you two?"

Orochi looked again at Shu and said, "Show him the book, Zac." Zac took out what he'd been looking for in the bag and held it out. An old leather-bound notebook, still slightly dusty and faded was held out to him. "We found this in the floorboards of our cabin the first day when the counselors checked in. It tells the story, maybe a diary or something, of a counselor - a first year one like you - who was getting possessed by these spirits, I guess, from the forest here. I don't know what's up with the forest here, something weird, it's been banned for a reason."

"It's haunted!" Akira piped in.

"Well, yeah, if you're going to put it in that cliche way. There's something in that forest, Shu."

"Yeah, I know." Shu said bitterly. "I went there today."

"No. No, please say you didn't!" Zac said, immediately looking worried. "Read the book, Shu. I know we aren't telling you much, it'll make more sense then."

Shu took the book from Zac and started reading it. A narrator introduced himself, seeming to be a diary entry from a previous camper or counselor. The first page was titled 'day 1'. The story seemed similar to his, so far. The narrator didn't give his name, just his age and a little bit about himself. He was 16, and had been attending camp for a couple years. He described the same procedure that all counselors went through - he must be a counselor, Shu decided. The setting up of the beds, getting ready for his campers to come, and socializing with the other counselors too seemed familiar to Shu, although he mentioned that he didn't have another counselor with him.