Driver's License

You decide to tease your friend after seeing his real name on his ID — coworker!keys x reader fluff

warnings: alcohol consumption since the oneshot takes place at a bar

words: 0.8k

a/n: this is my first keys fic and I know this is niche as hell but i've been obsessed with him lately so expect more lol

⁺. ༶ ⋆˙⊹. ༶ ⋆˙⊹⁺

The bar was one of the more popular ones—which means there's sometimes a line outside in the cold—but it was the one you always went to because it was walking distance from work. You, Keys, and Mouser stood in line shivering and wondering what was taking so damn long.

"Should we just go somewhere else?" You asked the guys.

"No, it's fine." Keys answered. "We're almost at the front anyways."

Mouser looked like he was about to say otherwise, but then dropped his protests. "Keys, can you like, stand on your toes and see what's going on?"

He obliged and stood up as tall as he could, looking for the front of the line. After a few seconds of the most perfect posture you'd ever seen on your friend, he slumped back down to his normal height.

"It's not the regular bouncer. This one's checking, like, everyone's IDs for five minutes each." Keys explained, pulling out his wallet already.

You held back a laugh at the obvious hyperbole and thanked him for the update on what was taking this line so long to move.

Keys was right; you were actually close to the front of the line. It was still unbearably cold and it wasn't even winter yet. Keys saw your discomfort and wrapped an arm around you. Maybe that was more than a coworker slash friend should do, but hey, you work at a video game company: nothing was really like other workplaces.

Once you were finally at the doors, the new bouncer asked for IDs from all three of you—which you thought was ridiculous because none of you looked like you were minors—and thoroughly scanned each one of them.

Yours was first, and maybe the quickest. Mouser showed his ID next, and then it was Keys' turn. The worker looked at his driver's license for longer than he had yours and Mouser's, then passed it back to Keys with the card in between his index and middle finger.

Keys seemed to be in a rush to put it back into his wallet, and when you caught a glimpse of it as he shut the leather flaps, you understood why.

Your friend had never told you his real name before. Come to think of it, you weren't sure he's told anyone. What was perhaps his biggest secret was now in your hands, and there were infinite possibilities on what to do with it.

You kept quiet while the group picked a booth to sit at, then went up to order a round of kamikaze shots to start the night off with a bang. After you'd all taken one shot together, Mouser went off to use the washroom, leaving just you and Keys together.

Impatient as always, you had decided now was the time to do something with your newly acquired information. Biting back a smile, you tried to act as inconspicuous as possible.

"You know what?" You started. "I know we still have a round of shots, but I'm gonna head up to the bar and get something with as many maraschino cherries as they'll let me have. Do you want anything?"

He shook his head, smiling at your drink request. "No, I'm alright. I'll stay here."

You stood up, bringing a dollar bill from your purse to tip the bartender. "Okay, I'll be back, Walter."

He didn't even notice your use of his name at first. But when your words played back over in his head—as most things you say to him do—his eyes widened and he shot up from the seat.

"How did you— I don't tell people my real name." Keys said softly but urgently.

You smiled at him. "I know. I saw it on your driver's license outside. I just wanted to tease you a bit since I'm now one of the only people in the world who knows it."

"You are." He confirmed. "Just, please don't use it at work or anything. I just think it's embarrassing."

"More embarrassing than 'Keys'?" You giggled. You started walking towards the bar, and he followed closely behind. "You don't need to worry, though. I like being the keeper of your secret."

Relief washed over his face. "Thank you."

You waved over one of your favourite bartenders, then brought your attention back to Keys. "Just for the record, I actually like your real name. It's like a cute old man you live next to and bring in the newspaper for."

He bit the inside of his cheek and stood up from the barstool. "You know, just for that, I do want a drink. You're buying it for me."

You rubbed his upper arm to confirm there was nothing bad between you. "I'll surprise you, Walt." You told him as he walked back to your booth.

Unsurprisingly, you were met with his turned back and a middle finger flipped at you.

⁺. ༶ ⋆˙⊹. ༶ ⋆˙⊹⁺