1.2 ▬▬▬▬. . . Coward

Act one,                  "Why you mad for?"

  | Devante's POV

October 11, 1995

"So your girl coming to tonight smoke?" Asked Dalvin as him and the boys were clashing cards on the table, "Maybe,"

"What the fuck so you mean maybe."

"Shit...I invite her to things but she never want to go out publicly."

"I'd be shocked if she bring her fine ass here tonight though," He snickered as he knew there was probably a least chance of that happening, I lifted my eyebrow up as I wanted him to discuss more about this woman and why she was always the talk of the conversation when we were around.

"You shit yet?"

"Hell yeah, thought I told y'all this already." He said as he put a card of 8 down, I stared at the card and went my turn putting something greater to that value, "Nigga you ain't said shit, to me, you probably told my brother but not me. I don't even know what she looks like."

"Since you want to know so motherfucking badly, she has brown chocolate skin, beautiful long natural hair...no weave she grew that shit out herself..."

"That girl lied to you." K-ci chuckled as he played his hand next.

"No I'm forreal she don't even use perms, again you have to see before you truly know wassup."

"And I know you ain't talking about hair and what's natural don't Mary wear blonde wigs."

"Wow." I whispered under my voice from the utter disrespect, K-ci looked at Smoke with a glare, zooming his eyes into his soul while he just laughed, "You want me to continue?" Smoke asked him as he looked right at him back.

Smoke leaned back in his chair, taking a long drag from his cigarette as he rambled on about his new girlfriend. I half-listened, more interested in the swirls of smoke that danced in front of me. He described her as confident, funny, smart, and sexy, but it was his next comment that caught my attention. "She wears a lot of red," he said, "and she's very ladylike. She doesn't put herself on display like other girls." I raised an eyebrow, "So basically, you're saying she's not a whore?"

Smoke chuckled, "Yeah, something like that." I couldn't help but wonder what he saw in this mysterious woman, and if she was really as perfect as he portrayed her to be. Shit if she had better hair then Mary J then she should look a dim and I was going to find out.

"If I win this little game, you have to call up your mystery girlfriend and make her meet us," I said, knowing it would make things interesting. Smoke grinned and accepted the challenge, purposely calling out the game to K-Ci. "Really, Smoke?" K-Ci exclaimed. But as the game went on, it became clear that I was going to win. And when K-Ci called out, I triumphantly put down my last card, placing my whole stack on top of what was left. "I win," I said with a smirk, already imagining the awkward encounter that was about to happen.