Chapter 4

"Why were you hiding?" The man asked me, staring at me with a scowl.

"I-I got scared!" I hoped he believed me, I still didn't feel completely safe. "I heard voices and..."

"We're not gonna hurt you" The boy intervened, showing me a friendly smile. "We just didn't know you were human, we thought you were a draugr or something"

"No, no, I'm human!" I nodded vehemently, slightly relieved. "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding"

The man groaned in annoyance once more, but he kept walking. The boy hesitated, but he stayed behind with me instead.

"I'm Atreus" He introduced himself with another smile. "And that's my father Kratos"

"Pleasure to meet you, Atreus" I looked ahead to the man, even though he was ignoring me, and raised my voice so he could hear me. "And you too, Kratos, sir!"

The man didn't reply, he just kept walking without even looking back.

"What's your name?" Atreus asked me, seemingly curious and excited at the same time. I supposed it must have been nice for him to have more company other than his cold father.

"Oh, I'm Y/N" I smiled back at him, but was suddenly interrupted by Kratos.

"That is enough, child" The man turned around to us and gravely stared at me. "Leave us, continue your path on your own"

"B-But..." I complained, and I stopped walking along with Atreus, in pure shock.

"Come, boy" Kratos held Atreus by the arm and tugged at him so he would follow.

The kid, although obedient, seemed sad to be leaving me behind before we could even start getting to know each other. He didn't give us any time.

"Wait, please!" I tried my luck, even if I was scared to anger Kratos. "If I could come with you, that would be-"

"No"

"Please, I have a weapon too, I could help you in battles and-"

"I said no!"

"Please, sir, I don't want to be alone"

"Father..." Atreus shyly intervened, gathering the man's attention. "We could use her help, and I would like her to come"

Definitely, the boy wanted some more company. Not only because the more, the merrier, but because his father seemed very stern and rough.

Kratos thought about it, his eyes moving from the boy to me. Then he examined me carefully, and I noticed how they fell over my mace too.

"Why would you want to accompany us, child?" I didn't like that he kept calling me 'child', but I didn't want to tempt fate seeing as he seemed willing to accept me, so I didn't address the issue.

"Because I'm afraid... I need to travel Midgard, but... I don't really want to be alone" I explained, flustered by his intense stare.

"Why are you travelling? Where are you going?"

"No offence, but that is a personal matter and-"

"If you want to come, you must accept my conditions. I demand to know your intentions"

I could tell by his expression that his patience was running thin. And I didn't really want to upset him, so I sighed and talked.

"I'm completely alone" I began to say, saddened when I was reminded about it. "I don't have a family anymore and I wanted to move on, leave my past behind"