ˊ6ˋ

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

▏CHAPTER SIX▕

"ɢɪʀʟꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ"

𝘔elanie switches the slide, using the last five minutes to inform her students about the mid-term exam that's in the next two weeks. Most of her students do attend the state's university that's only forty minutes from her apartment. She already sent them emails telling them that the exam will be in person and not online.

As she gives her lesson, she sees her phone screen light up. Ignoring it, she finishes up her last statement before dismissing them. Melanie turns the projector in her office off and sits down at her desk to end the class call. She grabs her phone and looks at the message. It's from her brother. She calls him back and presses the phone to her ear while organizing her desk.

"I told you the days that I'm working, Malik." She scolds her brother for sending a message.

"That's why I texted you."

She rolls her eyes. "That's still distracting," Melanie sighs and looks down at her nails. "What do you want? I'm sure that's not why you called."

Her brother takes a deep breath. "Your nephew's birthday is this weekend, and it would mean a lot to me and to him if you show up."

Melanie sighs and looks at the picture of her brother and his family on her desk. She wants to hold her nephew, and squeeze him. Seeing his little smile when he sees her just makes her want to kiss his little cheek. However, with all that she went through, she's not sure if she's over what she did. What she decided to do for herself. She wants to get over her trauma, and hold her baby nephew.

Taking a deep breath, she closes her eyes and agrees to come. She had to get over it eventually. Right?

"When doesn't it start?" She says, tapping the frame of the picture before placing her hand on her waist.

"Wait? Really?" Her brother says, his tone confused.

"What?"

"Nothing," he says, laughing from relief. "I thought I would have to beg you as i did before."

Melanie shakes her head as she fights the smile that's covering her face at her brother's happiness.

"I'm glad I didn't have to beg. Anyway, it's a Pokémon party, so wear something yellow, blue, white, black, or red." He explains, causing her to scoff.

"He's a freaking baby, why is there a dress code?" Melanie complains into the phone, frowning a bit, not sure if she even has anything to wear for a one year old birthday party.