Chapter Ten

The next morning, Chase was awakened by a familiar voice calling him. He opened his eyes and got up to his feet, facing whoever called him.

"Hi, Chase!" a familiar pup greeted him.

"Marshall?" Chase said, dropping his jaw in shock, "You came back!"

Chase was about to rush to Marshall to hug him but Marshall backed off, trying to avoid his hug.

"No, don't even go near me!"

"Wha-... Why? What's wrong?" Chase asked.

"I know you, Chase... You don't want me anymore," Marshall said.

"No, that's not true... We were all miserable when you left. Everything changed without you," Chase disagreed.

"Then why did you tell them that I was dead when I'm not? I thought we were best friends... But you told everyone that I was gone forever. You want me gone because of my clumsiness, right?" Marshall told him.

"No, that's not what I meant. You don't understand... I'm just trying to-"

"No, you don't understand! I've caused so many accidents and one of them took my owner's life. I know you all hate me for everything I've caused. You're all better off without me," Marshall replied.

"Marshall, what are you talking about? Ryder is not dead," Chase corrected, "Marshall?"

"Goodbye, Chase!" Marshall said as he started to disappear.

"Marshall, wait! Come back!" Chase shouted.

Tears started to form in his eyes as he watched his friend vanish into the fog.

"Marshall!"

Chase immediately opened his eyes and realized he was just dreaming.

"Oh, it was just a dream!"

"Chase?" a different voice called.

"Oh, not again..."

"Chase, it's me... Skye," Skye called once again.

"Oh, phew! Hi, Skye!" Chase greeted.

"I heard you screaming and wanted to check you out. You okay?" Skye told him.

"Yeah, just having a bad dream... It's about Marshall," Chase replied.

"I know you miss him too... We all do," Skye answered.

"Everything was... different without Marshall. We lost our fire pup, our friend who always crashes into us in the elevator," Chase said, sadly.

"But he's not dead, Chase... Remember?" Skye reminded.

"How can we even be sure he's still alive? We don't even know where he is!" Chase asked.

Skye didn't know what to say next so she just let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry, Chase. I don't know, either."

Not long while we were talking, Ryder called us into the kitchen for breakfast. The rest of the pups got out of their pup house and ran to the kitchen. The pups chatted on the way there.

"Do you think Marshall even thinks about heading back here?" Rubble asked.

"Dude, what?" Zuma asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Shh, lower your voices!" Skye shushed.

"We don't know, Rubble... We're not even sure if he's still alive," Chase answered.

"Chase?! How could you say that?" Rocky said, angrily.

"Rocky, calm down!" Skye said.

 "Guys, I'm sorry I said that... I just... Look, I had a bad dream where Marshall was there," Chase said.