paper planes

< high school au >

* * *

You brushed a stray lock of hair out of your face as you carefully creased the delicate origami paper, folding it with expert precision into the familiar shape of a paper airplane. Lately, this has become something of an obsession for you. Not the origami itself, but you had been adept at that skill for years. The obsession lay with the recipient of these intricately folded paper messengers.

Seulgi. The name danced through your mind as your fingers worked. She was a year ahead of you at school, and you had admired her from afar for what felt like forever. You doubted she even knew your name. But lately, you have found a way to get her attention, even if anonymously.

You pulled a pen from your bag and uncapped it, scribbling a brief note on one of the plane's wings:

"The stars shine brightest in the dark."

A little cryptic, maybe, but that was part of the fun.

You sealed the note by refolding the wing and adding the finishing touches to the plane. Satisfied, you tucked it into your bag.

On your way to English Literature later, you would "accidentally" drop it, so Seulgi was sure to find it.

* * *

The hallway was bustling with students rushing to get to their classes on time. You spotted Seulgi up ahead, walking with her friend Yerim.

This was your chance.

You gently shouldered past a couple of football players and made your way toward Seulgi. Trying to look nonchalant, you pulled the paper plane from your bag and let it slip through your fingers to the floor right in front of Seulgi's feet.

"Oops!" you said in an exaggerated tone, making sure to get her attention. "Clumsy me."

Seulgi glanced down at the paper plane, eyebrows raised, then her gaze drifted up to meet yours questioningly. You offered an embarrassed smile.

"S-sorry," you stammered. "I'll get that."

You bent down to snatch up the plane.

Seulgi stopped walking and held out a hand. "No, it's okay. I got it."

She picked up the airplane.

"I didn't know paper planes were a thing again."

"Oh, uhh, it's a hobby of mine," you said, your heart pounding. "Origami, you know."

"Cool," Seulgi replied with a polite smile.

And then, before you could say anything else, she and Yerim continued on down the hallway.

You exhaled slowly. Mission accomplished. Now you just had to wait and see if she found your note.

* * *

Days passed, and you didn't hear anything from Seulgi. You wondered if she opened the plane and saw the cryptic message. You debated folding another one to get her attention again.

Then one day, you were stopped at your locker, rummaging through your bag for your calculus homework, when you heard a familiar voice.

"Hey... Y/N, right?"

You turned to see Seulgi standing there, her backpack slung casually over one shoulder.

"Uh, yeah," you replied, startled. "Seulgi, hi."

"I found your note," she said, holding up the now slightly crumpled paper plane. "About the stars?"

You felt your face flush.