T W E N T Y

Veronica

The baby was crying again.

I woke up to the cries of Noah and got up, only to see that my husband wasn't in bed. Could it be...? Was he finally helping out with the baby?

Noah's cries got louder and started to sound an awful lot like screaming. I had a terrible gut feeling as I rushed out of my bedroom and toward the nursery.

"Don't you ever fucking shut up?" I heard Bob say with malice.

I rushed inside to see Bob shaking our baby. My baby. As he cried and screamed.

"Bob! What are you doing?" I demanded, tears falling from my eyes. Who had I married?

He had two kids before me, so he should know that shaking a baby isn't okay.

And that's when my heart dropped.

Alexa.

The signs were there. There was even a court case. I was so blind, but now I see the truth. That Bob is a monster. I should have listened to my children. I shouldn't have brushed them off. Why would they have lied about Bob being a shit father?

I should have known better.

Bob glared at me. Glared at me. "Go back to bed, hon."

"Give me my baby," I demanded, keeping my voice flat, trying not to show the rage that I felt.

"I said go back to bed."

"Give me my fucking baby," I demanded, flinging myself toward Bob, and grabbing Noah out of his hands as tears fell from my face. "I am going to file for divorce in the morning."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

I walked away from him, Noah tightly in my arms. He seemed to have calmed down now that I was the one holding him. I'm sorry, Noah. I'm sorry, Alexa... Wait... if I divorce Bob, what will happen to Alexa and Andrew? And our kids love each other... I can't rip Alexa and Andrew from them, and I can't have them go with that monster.

I walked into the kitchen, humming, trying to keep my baby calm. I was overcome with nerves. I had no idea what I should do. Maybe I shouldn't file for divorce, not without first making sure Alexa and Andrew would be all right... I can't abandon them, not when they'll be left with him.

I thought about everything my kids have ever said about Bob, and guilt filled me. I really should have believed them. I should have realized it was odd when Bob told me he got his friend as the judge. Why would he need an unfair advantage unless he actually was abusive? I should've helped Alexa be with her uncle. I wonder if I could somehow get ahold of him, if he would want Alexa and Andrew both. Then I can divorce Bob, and be with my kids. Everyone will be safe.

But I love Alexa and Andrew, too. I wonder if I could somehow get custody of them, even though they're not biologically mine. But if not, then their blood related uncle is the best bet. As long as they're away from Bob, I'll be satisfied.

I started preparing a bottle for Noah, still humming. Noah seemed relaxed, almost sleepy, and I'm sure the bottle of formula will make him sleep like, well, a baby.

I fed Noah the bottle, lost in my thoughts. A dark part of me was thinking that I shouldn't of had a baby by that man. But I love Noah, I really do. I wouldn't give him up for anything.

After Noah finished half the bottle, he was fast asleep. I smiled softly. He was so precious.

I walked back into the nursery. Bob was no longer in there. I sigh softly. I placed my baby back into his crib and kissed his forehead. "I love you," I whisper to him, looking at him with fondness.

I went back to my room and opened the door. Bob was in there on the bed. He looked at me when I came in. His hands were behind his back.

"Hey, Bobby."

"Hey, Ronnie, listen what you saw, baby girl..."

"No, don't," I stop him. "I was being way too rash. I don't want a divorce, I'm sorry. I'm should you had your reasons, you were probably just stressed."

I didn't mean any of this, of course, but I needed to buy my time until I can Alexa and Andrew away from this man. I couldn't do that once we were divorced. So I gave Bob a false sense of security.

"Really, Ronnie?"

I nodded. It took everything in me not to slap the shit out of him for shaking my baby. But I had to play him like a doll.

I sat down next to him. "I love you," I tell him. Except, I no longer do. But he won't know that yet. I'll play the part of dumb wife very good. Just for now, of course.

"I love you too, Ronnie," Bob tells me and begins kissing my neck.

He climbs on top of me and we begin to make out.

I clapse onto his shirt. I didn't want this, but I had to pretend that I did. Even though I wasn't suppose to have sex so soon after the baby. I needed to please him for now.

One hand went under my shirt as we made out. I didn't even realize that the other hand was still behind his back.

Bob pressed himself against me so I could feel his boner on my private part. I kept my hands on the bed above my head. He bit down on my neck and I let out a moan. I faked it. I never liked being bitten.

Then that's when it happened.

Bob sits up, directly on top of me and pulls out a knives and jabs it into my heart.

As I bled out, I stare up at him. I couldn't think straight, could barely breathe. Bob looked so cruel.

I should have believed my kids....

I stared at Bob in the eyes and told him this. "I....I... cheated on you..." even though it wasn't true, and I closed my eyes for the final time.