Part 30

"Your kid just asked me to give her a ride somewhere."

Daryl looked at Abraham. "What?"

"Leigh. She asked me to take her out for a drive." Abraham clarified unhelpfully. "Said you weren't supposed to be knowing."

He stubbed out his cigarette and frowned. Leigh had spent the previous night quiet and alone, nursing her bruises away from prying eyes. There hadn't been much she was willing to say but he kept close, one ear out in case she tried running off. Stress usually had her getting antsy to take off but Leigh mostly sat still, confined to her resolve to stop trying to run. "When she run this plan by you?"

"About ten minutes ago. Said I'd keep quiet about it."

"Surprised you're throwing her under the bus."

Abraham's mouth quirked up and he lowered himself down to the step. "I had kids before."

That statement was painfully dark. Daryl could feel a lingering ghost of grief haunting Abraham's smile, suddenly understanding his easy personality with the kids in the group. "I don't think Leigh's fixing to run away."

"Yeah, well. Last time I thought she was fixing to stay in one place, she scribbled some farewell on a napkin and ghosted us on the road. Thought you'd want a heads up if she's getting an itch."

"Where she wanting to go?"

"Won't say."

Daryl couldn't imagine Leigh was planning on venturing back to seeing her mother. Knowing Billy was lurking around in Alexandria made his kid restlessly uneasy. Whatever she was up to was clearly a mystery and beyond anything Daryl could take a guess at."Take her. Keep an eye on her, yeah?"

The man looked surprised. "Yeah?"

"She'll just climb the damn walls and take off on foot if you don't go with her. Least you'll bring her back. Figure out what's going around inside her head. See what's chewing at her."

"I'll pack her up tomorrow. Hit the road early."

"Let Leigh think I'm in the dark about this. Better she thinks she's got the upper hand on this one."

Abraham grinned with teeth. "Great. I love being in on a plan."

The door clicked shut behind them. Carol silently joined them, hands shoved into the pockets of her cardigan, squinting up at the setting sun. "We're wasting time."

"What are you? The reaper?" Daryl scorned, standing up and brushing his hands off his knees. "Leigh still in the kitchen?"

"Just left her there."

"Alright. Hold up."

Carol looked smugly pleased but folded herself down beside Abraham, plainly content to wait. Daryl went back inside and stuck his head through the kitchen, catching a glimpse of his daughter reading at the table, a mostly finished plate beside her elbow. She was still eating vegetarian but it satisfied Daryl endlessly being able to manage her nutrition within the net of safety, finally getting her strong again. "Tara's upstairs if you're needing anything. And Abraham won't go far—"

She dropped the book. "Where are you going?"

"Just checking on a trap. Carol's coming with me."

"Can't I come?"

"I don't want you going out the walls yet. Best stick where it'll be safe."

Leigh frowned. "I managed out there alone. I'd be safe with you—"

"I'm saying no. I don't give a shit how you were managing yourself when you were alone. Right now? You ain't alone. I'm the one who makes these choices." His words were harsh but he kept the tone gentle, laying down a law the best he could. "I want you safe."