T W E N T Y - T W O

Andrew

We walked inside as Michael was yapping about who knows what. Elliot and Jackson sat on the couch.

"Oi, Mikey, don't you have an off switch?" Jackson asked with a laugh.

Michael gasped, offended.

Elliot glanced between my sister and me. He was reading but he set his book down, worry in his eyes. "Are you guys okay?" he asked.

Alexa frowned, and glanced at me then she sat down next to Elliot.

I sighed and began telling our friends what happened. Even Michael was stunned into silence. Once I was done, they exchanged surprise looks with each other.

"Wow..." Jackson said. "And now you're at risk for the foster system...?"

I nodded.

Michael frowned and quickly hugged both me and Alexa tightly. Jackson and even Elliot joined the group hug.

Our friends weren't sure what to say, but I like hugs, so who cares?

***

Alexa fell asleep, leaning on Elliot's shoulder. I wasn't too fond of that, but I didn't want to wake her up. I'm surprised that Elliot didn't seem to mind that Alexa was on his shoulder.

"Hey, Andrew, is something else bothering you?" Elliot asked.

Why is he so observant?

I crossed my arms. "Kind of?" I said and then told Elliot, Michael and Jackson how I beat the fuck out of my dad and will probably turn into a murderer like him because it's in my genes. And shit.

"Awww, Andrew," Michael said, hugging me again. "You're not like your dad! And you never will be, okay?"

I smile softly. "Thanks, Mikey."

"Are you hungry?" Michael asked.

I shook my head. I don't think I could eat right now.

I'm exhausted, physically and emotionally...

I lean my head back and fell asleep.

***

It was morning when I woke up. I woke up to my phone ringing. As I picked up my phone to see who was calling—Zach—I realized that everyone had also fallen asleep in the living room I picked up my phone and put it to my ear. "Hello?" I said, my voice sleepy sounding.

"They took Noah," came Zach's panicked response. My eyes widened. Did I hear him right?

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to keep my voice calm and even.

"They took Noah," Zach repeated. "CPS came by first thing in the morning... they took him. Not Ryder, and they didn't want you guys. Said something about you guys being too old so they wouldn't make much money off of you...?"

I stayed silent for a moment, processing that. Are we going to get him back?" I asked.

"I don't know," Zach said. "I don't know if they're going to give me option to adopt our brother....But... I don't know... maybe it's for the best..."

"What?" I demanded. "Why would you say that?"

Zach let's out a heavy sigh. "I don't think any of us are equipped to deal with a baby. Maybe Noah would be better off in a better family that could provide his every need."

I looked at Alexa, who was still asleep against Elliot, and I wondered how I should break the news to her. Before I could say anything to Zach, he began talking again.

"Hey," he started, "we'll be all right, okay? As long as we stick together. We will be all right. Okay?"

I nodded and then remembered that he wouldn't be able to see me on a phone call. "Okay, yeah," I said. "We'll be just fine."

I was hoping that that would be true, but I had no way of knowing. I was in a coma for two years, my sister's rapist and kidnapper was who knows where, my stepmom got murdered, my dad is a killer and my baby brother is now in the foster system like a week after he was born. Can't this family just calm down for once instead of something tragic happening every five fucking seconds?

"When are you and Alexa coming home?" Zach asked me.

"Um, we can come home now if you'll like," I told him. "I just have to wake Lexi up."

"That'd be great," Zach said. "I'm going to go prepare lunch. Be back soon, please." He paused. "Love you, lil bro."

I think that was the first time that he said that to me. I wish the reasoning would have been different, though. "I love you too, Zach. Bye." And then I hung up.

I realized that Jackson's eyes were opened. How much had he heard? I wince. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"It's okay," Jackson said.

"How much did you hear?" I asked him, dreading the answer.

"A lot," Jackson said. "Maybe all of it. Andrew—"

I sigh. "Welp. At least Alexa and I aren't going anywhere, huh?" I cracked a smile even though the last thing that I felt like doing was smiling. But it was true. In the foster system, we would've gone to different schools and then not only would we be away from our brothers, but also our friends, as well, and that was the last thing that I wanted to happen.

I shook Alexa's shoulder and she twisted and turn. "Lexi, wake up," I said and she jolted awake, as if she was startled. Maybe I shouldn't have touched her when she was sleeping. Ever since Ryan... Well, at least she wasn't panicking yet.

"Huh? Andy, why—"

"Zach wants us home," I tell her. "Cps took Noah."

"Wait, what? CPS took our brother?" She sounded confused, as if she couldn't believe the words.

I nodded and helped her stand up. I smile at Jackson. "Tell Mikey and Elliot that we said bye and that we'll talk later, okay?"

Jackson slowly. "Oh, uh yeah, bro. Please text me later, okay?"

I nodded. "Will do," I said. I grabbed Alexa's wrist and we left. Alexa stayed silent. She seemed really confused, probably because she had just woken up so it's taking her a minute to process what I had told her. But that's ok.

We both didn't say anything on our way home.