Little Mermaid (Marvel AU)

On the peaceful night of the underwater kingdom of Sunkaaria, everyone was sound asleep in their seaweed beds except for a handful of guards on duty. Suddenly, a loud noise jolted the entire kingdom awake as the alarms for attack alerts or merfolk attempting to flee from the Grandmaster's rule rang out, rousing everyone in the palace.

Despite the murky depths of the ocean, the guards were able to swiftly spot a figure gliding through the waters. Though not easy to discern, the figure was still unmistakable. Even in the dimmest light, the palace guards were able to recognize the individual with deep brown hair, olive skin, and a red-toned mermaid tail. The moment they tried to swim away, a guard tightly grabbed their arm, suspecting that they were intruders in the palace. They rolled their eyes upon realizing who it was.

"I had a feeling it was you attempting to make a sneaky escape yet again, Val!"

Despite putting all her strength into breaking free from the guard's grip, Val was unsuccessful. Nonetheless, she remained determined and continued to struggle against the hold. She refused to give up and remained confident in her ability to escape, despite the guard's efforts to restrain her. She fought with every ounce of strength and courage she had within her for as long as she could. But, alas, her power was not limitless. After what felt like forever packed into a few minutes, she reluctantly gave up for now, at least. She knew she'd be in trouble with the Grandmaster either way now that the palace had awoken from the alarms.

"Val, there's no point in struggling. This is the seventh time you've tried to escape from Sunkaaria."

"If the Grandmaster had kept his promise to let me go after I helped him, I wouldn't need to escape. And what else could you possibly expect from me?"

Val's voice trembled with frustration as she continued, "I've given everything I had to the Grandmaster, risking my life countless times. I deserve my freedom, not endless captivity."

Valkyrie stood her ground as the guard firmly grasped her arm, refusing to give in to fear. She strode forward with determination, not allowing herself to be intimidated by the prospect of facing the Grandmaster in the palace throne room. Despite the two guards and her boss staring her down, she maintained a fierce gaze, unyielding in her resolve. Her voice echoed through the room, filled with a mix of anger and determination, as she declared, "I will not be silenced any longer. It's time for me to reclaim my life and make my own choices." The tension in the air grew palpable as everyone in the room realized that Valkyrie was ready to fight for her freedom, no matter the cost.

The grandmaster's disapproving look didn't faze her. She had tried to escape before, and she knew what she was doing. He spoke calmly. "I helped you, and you repay me like this? I took you in until the deal was fulfilled." Valkyrie's eyes narrowed as she met the grandmaster's gaze. Her voice, laced with determination, cut through the tension-filled silence.

"You may have helped me, but that doesn't mean I owe you my life. I am not a pawn to be controlled or manipulated."

"I'm sorry, but we made a deal that I would assist you in reaching the top, and in return, you would release me. I understand if you're not happy with the terms, but they must be respected."

"That's true, very true. But there's one thing I lack—the very thing that will secure my position at the top," said The Grandmaster as he approached Val, who tried to retreat. Despite receiving a death stare, he lifted her chin slightly and said, "This will ensure that you are no longer a Sunkaarian and will grant you your freedom for good."

Valkyrie's hazel eyes grew wider at the mention of "freedom," but then she quickly looked back at the ruler, her face returning to its annoyed expression. She let out a quiet sigh, realizing that she had no say in the matter. The grandmaster's words lingered in the air, a mix of hope and resignation. Valkyrie's mind raced, contemplating the weight of her decision. As she stood there, silently contemplating her fate, a glimmer of determination sparked within her. She knew she had to find a way to regain control over her own destiny.