The Inner Person

Penny's POV

Sunday, two days later, found Penny wrapped up in a blanket, knees up to her chest with snacks at the coffee table. She was binge-watching her favourite TV series, doing all she could to avoid two things. One: telling Mum that she quit her job, the source of their monetary needs. Two: cleaning her bedroom. It was too messy with laundry and cosmetics lying around that she didn't know where to start. Eventually, Mum came to nag her about it that she couldn't enjoy her show any more. She un-cocooned from her blanket, a terribly cruel action when she was feeling toasty and comfortable.

She was greeted by her mess at the door of her bedroom. She started picking up clothes and stuffed some back in draws where there were cracks of space. Her closest, when she opened it, spilled from the cram. What could she do? She didn't like throwing clothes away, but if she kept up this habit, she won't have a bedroom to sleep in.

She sighed loudly and decided to find a garbage bag from the kitchen. She trekked out of mountainous mess and appeared in the living room. Mum had the TV on, eyes glued to the screen and not noticing her entrance at all. Penny huffed. Seems like she only wanted Penny busy so she could switch the channel. Tracey was leaning over the kitchen counter, munching on cake and watching the same thing as Mum, the daily news.

She walked right past her and bent down to the draw where the garbage bags were kept. She groaned when she couldn't see any. Did she have the wrong draw? She fumbled around the kitchen draws, when she heard Tracey gasp and almost choke on her food. She glanced worriedly at her sister.

"Tracey, you alright?"

Tracey instead pointed at the TV across the kitchen into the living room. She followed with half interest. Mum was watching the same thing with her mouth gaped. Penny's puzzlement morphed into surprise. The news reporter was talking about a recent arrest of a man indicted of domestic violence and drug dealing. It was strange how identical he was to her boss. But it was her boss! The same receding hair, same frown, same long face. That's what had them all silenced. The screen changed, showing how the reporter was able to get a clip of a video of him. He was being escorted by two officers. He had handcuffs on and was uselessly shoved into the passenger seat of the police car. The reporter continued to talk. The victim of his physical abuse was none other than his one and only daughter, a 22 year old lady. That was Karena!

"Honey, did you know?" Mum asked.

A sick feeling crept to her throat. Her eyes fell to no where in particular. She could feel the two of them staring at her, waiting for her answer. Her widened eyes turned to them, and she shook her head.

"Well, these things are never done out in public," Tracey said. "I'm glad his crimes have come to the light, though. I wonder how it happened. And just how long has that being going on?"

Mum answered her, but their voices faded from Penny's ears. Her mind felt fogged with this new knowledge. Her heart dropped with sudden weight. She needed some fresh air.

She crossed the room to the front door. She remembered vaguely Mum standing up. She had murmured something in reply before closing their apartment door. Neither one of them followed, so she must have told them she was going for a walk. Her fingers found the railing as she descended the stairs. The cold air bit her skin. She hugged her arms and held tightly to her jumper. She sighed listlessly, and her head fell back to watch the bare trees swish past her vision.

She knew the feeling of loneliness amongst a crowd who misunderstood her. She had been there when she was afraid of a father who was under the influence of drugs. The slightest, unpredictable thing could make him angry enough to hit her or Mum or Tracey. She knew anger tangled with fear on a daily basis, had been through the nightmare. So why hadn't she seen that past Karena's hard shell? Instead, she had to argue with her. She needed friends not enemies. Kindness not coldness. She could have been a hero and report the abuse a long time ago, but instead things turned out this way.

Penny stopped and gripped her arms tighter. She squeezed her eyes shut. The lump in her throat was growing. Karena had needed someone to help her and reach out, but Penny had failed to be that someone. She regretted arguing with her after finding out the truth now. Guilt in the form of tears squeezed out of her eyes. The passersby glanced quizzically at her but continued on. She was glad. She didn't want their attentions. Her feet continued walking, her eyes riveting around for a private place. They stopped at a familiar shop.

Elenor's Alterations.

Without a second to hesitate she turned to the direction of the street shop and turned the handle. The bell announced her entrance. Nothing had changed since the last time she had barged in. The small, grey-hair woman sat at her machine that hummed every time she pressed on the pedal. The smell of the lemongrass diffuser reached her nose and soothed her. The warm and toasty room made her hands fall to her sides.

The woman gazed at her, recognition slightly colouring her eyes. She stopped working and waited for Penny to speak. The young lady fidgeted a little but didn't take a step forward.

"I...I want to be useful to people, to help them however I can." She paused. The woman made no movement. Penny inwardly cringed at her own words. "Also, I need a full-time job desperately. I dont know how to sew yet, but I'll learn quickly."

Another pause. Penny was sure she wasn't convincing at all. She was ready to turn away any second, when the woman raised her eye brows, observing her over her spectacles.

"Well, if you want to be useful, you can start by organising that mess."

Penny followed her finger and found a stack of clothes over a bench top. She ran over to it and began hanging them over a rack. She had never found this much energy at tidying up before, not even for her bedroom. The two worked in silence for a minute. Then Penny couldn't keep quiet any longer.

"Does this mean you're giving me a job?"

"I'm not looking for a full-timer, but if you're willing to work and learn quickly then I'll consider hiring you for three days a week. Good?" She glanced up at her machine, and Penny vigorously nodded. "Good, good."

Penny nibbled at her lip. Three days was not going to pay all the bills and groceries. She needed a second job. She hadn't realised two hours had passed until a wooden clock on the wall alarmed her. It was four in the afternoon. She told the woman she had to go home, but she will be back early in the morning.

Penny raced home to tell Mum and Tracey. They were happy to see her in good spirits after the way she zombied out of the house earlier. Mum put a hand on her daughter's arm.

"Penny, it was wrong of me to put all the burden on you," she said softly. "I'm going back to work. The doctor said I can if it's only a few days, which checks out well. We'll take care of each other together."

Tracey sniffed a snob as she smiled contentedly at them. "I'm going to find a part-time job too! I can juggle school at the same time. It's no biggie! If we all do a little then no one has to carry the load alone. I hate to watch someone struggling. And Penny, this means you don't have to walk two hours to work anymore!"

Penny returned her sister's smile. She was grateful to the both of them. "Yes." She from one to the other. "Thank you, Tracey, Mum. This means a lot, and I just know we're going to have a better year ahead of us."