Two Strangers

Liam's POV

It had been two years since Liam had seen the BJ cafe close down for good. The man had lost his business and Karena had moved on. The last he knew she was working as a fitness coach. It suited her. But he had never seen Penny again. The last he remembered was that cold glint in her brown eyes. He had tried forgetting about her, but her face was imprinted into his mind. Never had he remembered someone's smile so well, or their pensive expression.

He rubbed his face with one hand and his mind crept back to the present. He was sitting on a metal chair on the outside of a humble cafe. People walked back and forth, catching buses, going to work, and carrying groceries. The markets were to his right. The square stood beyond that in the distance. Straight ahead from him was a two-way street and a neatly-kept cemetery beyond it. On his left stretched the rest of White Lake Avenue. The sky above was a bright indigo, clear from threatening dark clouds. It was a promising spring day.

His newspaper drooped lazily and he shook it straight again. He adjusted his seat and skimmed at the article with half interest. The main reason of his being there among the markets was the person he was observing. As a private investigator it was important for him to blend in. His target was a man walking his dog. He studied the way he looked over his shoulder from time to time and checked his watch. There were enough people on White Lake Avenue to go unseen or unheard, mixing in with the hubbub of everyday events. A flash of colour had managed to find the corner of his eye. There should not have been anything unordinary about it, but he turned his head nonetheless. Just a woman at the florist shop fifteen metres from him. He did a second take and sat up straight. His attention left the newspaper article and his mission. The woman was young, still in her twenties. She had long brown hair pulled up into a bun. Her skinny, white jeans made her appear tall, but she was rather small and petite. A sky-blue blouse completed her look. What really caught his attention was her face. Liam knew that smile anywhere. He looked straight into those big brown eyes, yet they didn't catch him gawking.

It was Penny without a doubt. She was deep in conversation with the old florist, pointing at one colourful bouquet, then at another. She handed her money and grabbed a pink bouquet. The old lady seemed really grateful, thanking her many times. Penny glowed with a warm smile. She started walking off in Liam's direction. His heart leaped excitedly. Her shoes tapped louder as she drew nearer. Her eyes were fixed straight ahead, and she continued without spotting him. Liam's eyes followed her curiously. She turned to the pedestrian crossing and waited for the light to change. When it came she gracefully walked across. She reached the cemetery and manoeuvred around gravestones until she found the one she was looking for. She rested the bouquet on top of the plaque, waited a few seconds, and walked back the way she came. She past Liam a second time, being none the wiser that he was watching her.

All along he stared with big, amazed eyes. After all this time, he finally found her again. She looked beautiful, graceful, and happy. It was a pleasure to know that she was only a grasp away from him. Yet, he sat on his chair as if his pants were glued to it. He mentally slapped himself for being a coward all of a sudden.

He had been so occupied and, dare he say, transfixed by an old memory, that he forgot about the man and his dog. Reluctantly, he pulled his gaze away from Penny and glanced around. The man was nowhere.

I'm toast.

Liam stood up and walked down the street in the opposite direction of Penny. He had to focus on his job, but he stole one last glance over his shoulder. Penny was talking with the florist again. She had changed a lot, then again, she was the same. She seemed happier than he remembered her, maybe more sure of herself. Certainly glowing more.

No, not Penny. Your job! Think about your job.

He stopped in the middle of the footpath. Where was he going? He didn't know anymore because he lost his target. Perhaps, he should pick things up tomorrow morning. Something like this had never happened before. He knew why, of course. He had never found someone whom his mind thought of constantly. What was he thinking? He had to be an idiot. He turned around as he made up his mind. He walked back with a jazzy tempo. When he arrived at the florist she was out of sight. His shoulders slumped in disappointment, but he kept looking. He went farther down White Lake Avenue, hoping that that's the way she went. At the end was the square with a fountain gurgling in the middle. People blurred past his vision as he walked. He found Penny standing at the stone edge of the fountain. Excitement rose inside of him. He slowly closed the distance until he was standing a metre behind her. Her hands were clasped behind her back in a relaxed manner. She seemed pensive, probably thinking up some deep thoughts. It was easy for him to watch her, harder to interrupt the moment.

"Penny," he called softly.

She broke her trance and riveted large eyes at Liam. Recognition coloured her face, and a small gasp escaped her lips.

He rubbed the nape of his neck. "It's me, Liam. It's been a while so I don't blame you if you don't remember me."

He was not finished his sentence when she sprinted forward and threw her arms over his shoulders. Surprised stilled him for three seconds, but he returned the embrace. He chortled in delight.

"I guess you do remember me," he said.

Penny pulled back to look up at him. "Of course I do! And we have a lot of catching up to do."

"Certainly. Shall we grab a coffee?"

As Penny linked arms with Liam, they began from the day they last saw each other and shared stories after stories. Old strangers turned new friends.