Vol. 7.5: Chapter 4 - A Silly Memory

"Sakayanagi...?"

"Good day to you as well, Ayanokouji-kun. I didn't think you'd have a visitor this early in the morning. Did I come at a bad time?"

Ichinose kept looking back and forth between us with a strange expression on her face.

"You two are friends...?"

"Fufufu, I would like to think so. What do you think, Ayanokouji-kun?"

"Well, I guess you could say that."

Her first sentence was quite unfair since I'd look like a bad guy if I said no. Well, I'd hardly care even if I did, but I had no reason to say we weren't friends either. Even if Sakayanagi was lying about her real feelings, she was lax enough to say otherwise in front of Ichinose. I don't think there's any harm in recognizing our current relationship as "friendship".

"May I come in?"

"Sure," I replied.

I led Sakayanagi inside with Ichinose following us back.

"Ehh, this is a surprise. When did you two get close?"

We're not close though.

"Hey, Ichinose. Didn't you have plans for today? Are you sure you want to keep your friends waiting?"

"Ah, so that's how it is? Hmm, are you that excited to be alone with Sakayanagi-san?" Ichinose suddenly pouted.

"What are you talking about...?"

"You said you didn't have any plans for today, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. I can't believe you lied to me. Don't tell me... that on Christmas Eve, you and Sakayanagi-san..." Her adorable grumpy face was coupled with a gaze of poking and prodding. I guess we were close enough for this, huh?

"I wasn't lying though. I never thought the two of you would want to visit all of a sudden."

"Ayanokouji-kun is right. I just came here unannounced. I apologize for causing a misunderstanding, Ichinose-san." Sakayanagi promptly backed me up with her usual smile.

"Oh, really...? I see. If that's the case, then..." Ichinose looked at her phone and shrugged. "I still have a few hours before my friends and I meet up, so I'd like to stay here while waiting... I wonder if it's not a bother for you, Ayanokouji-kun?"

Once again, with these unfair questions.

"Do what you want. Don't blame me if you get bored in no time."

Ichinose's expression lit up as she plopped herself on my bed. She swiftly tapped on her phone, probably messaging someone.

"Is tea okay with you, Sakayanagi?"

"Yes, thank you... And I'm really sorry for the sudden visit."

"It's fine. So, why did you come here?"

"Fufufu, I'm guessing it's the same reason Ichinose-san came here." She coyly pointed at the bag that stood out on my bedside table. "Merry Christmas, Ayanokouji-kun. It's been a good year even though we didn't talk as much as I'd like to."

As if not to be outdone, Sakayanagi's present was also packed in a very cutely designed bag. 

"Thank you..." I served her tea and received the present. "I'll be off to buy some Christmas gifts later, so I want you to tell me something you'd want in return."

"Please don't mind it. I gave you a present out of my own will. I wasn't expecting you to give me something in return."

These two were complete opposites, but they somehow gave almost the same exact response. How interesting. I wonder if they get along.