6. Scio me nihil scire

Check the playlist for this fic on my wall!

"The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad
If we got each other, and that's all we have
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand
You should know I'll be there for you"

– Alec Benjamin, If we have each other

________

It's around noon that Sunoo comes back to the dorms, refreshed after a whole morning around his sister. He doesn't know if the others are up yet, or if they are indulging into sleeping in (not something that Jungwon and Heeseung are exactly capable of, they can only sleep so much, but it doesn't mean they don't ever spend the whole day in their beds.)

As he goes to peak inside the room he shares with the werewolves, he hears voices going off, which makes him frown. He only sees Jake's profile from where he is, in front of the half open door, and Niki's laying figure.

"Niki-yah," Jakes sighs, and if Sunoo knows him well enough, he can tell just by his voice that it isn't the first time he is repeating this, "if you don't wake up right now, you won't get to visit Sunghoon."

The youngest groans in response, his voice rusty with sleep, "'m tired, lemme alone."

"You won't see him until he comes back home," the older boy insists once again, on edge. "Don't come complaining that we didn't try to wake you up later."

"Leave me fucking alone," comes from the bottom bunk, and Sunoo frowns at the unusual display of disrespect.

He earns a groan from Jake in response, and Sunoo knows him enough to know that he is taking a deep breath to control himself. If he guesses well, this has been going on for a while before he came.

"Don't you try feeding me your bullshit, I don't care that you are going through your transformation, you don't give me that fucking attitude!"

The atmosphere suddenly feels suffocating to Sunoo. He never thought he could sense it when a werewolf tried to get another one to submit to them before, maybe because he had never been put into such a situation until two days ago, but he can definitely feel it know. It feels like something is about to snap, as if one wrong move would bring the world to an end. None of this is targeted to him, Jake probably didn't even notice that he was awake, and yet he tenses, immobile. It is weird to see Jake like this when the man was generally on the calmer side.

Someone passes right next to him before opening the door, and the atmosphere shifts at the same moment. It's Jay, Sunoo realises.

"Jake," his voice breaks through the thickness of the air, "stop it."

And true to his position in the pack, Jake does not resist, sending a last glance in Niki's direction before storming out of the room, not even offering a glance to Sunoo.

The air becomes breathable again, though there was still something lingering. From his position, he sees Jay approaching Niki's laying figure, and immediately softens.

"Are you really not coming?" he asks, softer than Jake in an attempt to soothe the boy after what happened.

Sunoo doesn't know how Jake's aura affected him, he doesn't even know how the werewolves can go through this so often without feeling like throwing up. But be it because of the hierarchy, or because Jay's presence makes him feel better, Niki speaks up.

"No," he sighs softly, as if he is admitting things he wouldn't wish to ever pronounce, "not right now."

Jay fixes him a few seconds, considering something, before nodding, "Okay. You don't have to come. Is there anything you want us to tell him?"