chapter 1

(monday 29ᵗʰ June 1959)

i woke up to my house full of noise. my mum was on the phone to someone, my dad was no doubt drinking a coffee reading the morning paper, my brother, the youngest of us, was watching the tv on full volume and my sister, kit, was still asleep next to me after getting into my bed halfway through the night.

i sat and stared at the ceiling for what felt like forever until I decided to check the time, it was 7:23 in the morning. how on earth are they awake this early? i thought.

after another 5 minutes of staring at the ceiling i got out of bed, woke up my sister, got dressed and did my skincare and curled my eyelashes.

"girls! wake up and come get breakfast!" mum yelled.

i trecked downstairs and ate two toasted waffles and a yoghurt with a glass of water.

"y/n!" callum, my brother yelled jumping into my arms.

"well good morning to you too!" i laughed as i spun him around on my hip.

"you excited for the last day, kit-kat?" i asked my little sister

"yeah, i can't wait to get a new teacher next year!" kit hated her teacher, she was always complaining to me how mean she was and how boring her voice sounded.

After i ate, i went back upstairs, got dressed into a pink floral skirt, a white tank top and black converse. i brushed my teeth and hugged my family goodbye and left to go meet gordie, chris and gracie.

gordie, gracie, chris and i were as thick as thieves, we were always together. it'd been that way since we were 7.

i knocked on my neighbour's door hoping that mrs or mr lachance wouldn't answer. i never really liked their parents, but since two months ago when Denny died they've been even more insufferable.

i understand that their son died, but they've got two other kids that still need a mum. luckily, gracie answered. "y/n/n, hi!" she said, giving me a hug and inviting me in.

"good morning. yous ready to go yet?" i asked, hugging her back. "yeah, one sec. gordie, y/n's here!"

i heard footsteps and then i saw him. his dark brown hair was perfectly combed to the side as always and his chocolate brown eyes stared into mine. my cheeks were painted pink and a smile was sketched onto my lips. shit.

"morning," i smiled "hey," he smiled back. "you okay?" he asked, coming down the final few stairs. "yeah, you?" "i'm good."

"right, let's go then, i need to get to the library early to return this book." i said breaking eye contact with gordie. 

(  writer's note: hii, this is my second book, but i'm still learning so don't judge too harshly haha. lower case is intended and italic writing is y/n's thoughts. :)  

-lils x  )