I'll Be Home For Christmas

Summary: After leaving everything behind and starting a new life almost three years ago, MC returns to Hogsmeade for Christmas Eve.
Little does she know that her brief return will be enough for her past to catch up with her...

* ∗ ✽ ∗ * ∗ ✽ ∗ *

"Oh, MC, I can't get over how much we've missed of each other's life. You can't imagine how much I've missed you!"

MC and Poppy sat in a cozy corner of the Three Broomsticks, whose dim lighting and soft hum of conversation provided a comfortable backdrop for their reunion. Excitement and laughter had been echoing for the past hours, as the two best friends shared their numerous respective adventures, and reminisced about the wonderful times they shared while at Hogwarts.

"Life sadly took us on separate journeys after graduation, there was no other way... But I'm so grateful that we haven't lost touch." MC said as she took a sip of her third Butterbeer of the afternoon. She had never realised how much she had missed the sugary drink, especially after being away from Hogsmeade for so long. It tasted of the good old days when she spent the entire day shopping with her schoolmates, before going for a collation to relax and forget about the homework they had to do.

After Hogwarts, Poppy became a renowned Magizoologist, following in her grandmother's footsteps, like she had always dreamt of doing. As for MC, she had taken a very different path. Barely a few weeks after graduating, the girl had decided to leave everything behind and embark on a life full of travel and adventure. She never stayed in one location for very long. Her aim was to discover as many places as she could.

Now, the only thing left of her former life was her best friend Poppy, and the letters they regularly exchanged. It was for her that MC had exceptionally returned to Hogsmeade, to see her on this Christmas Eve.

"Merlin... I didn't realise it was so late already." MC sighed as she looked out the window. The evening sun painted the sky in hues of orange and pink, casting a warm glow through the pub windows.

Poppy grimaced in response, as if a bittersweet realisation came to her, "Time flies when you're having fun. I wish I could stay longer... but Gran hasn't been well lately, and I've already left her on her own all afternoon..."

"Don't worry, Poppy. I totally understand."

"I'd love to offer you a place to stay, especially since it's Christmas Eve... but as I said, it's complicated at the moment."

MC offered the girl another genuine and reassuring smile, "It's okay, I don't mind. I've managed to find a room in an inn for a couple of days."

"I'm glad to hear that." Poppy smiled back, although ruefully.

After paying for their drinks, the two girls made their way out. They stood on the porch on the Three Broomstick in contemplative silence, the air thick with unspoken emotions. The time had come to bid farewell once again.

Poppy took a deep breath, as if to get rid of the lump in her throat, before breaking the silence, "MC, it's been wonderful catching up with you. I wish we could freeze time and stay like this forever."

A wistful smile played on MC's lips. "Life moves on, though. We have our own journeys to continue."

Poppy hesitated before uttering her newt words, "...Don't let it be another three years before our next reunion."

"It won't. I promise." MC replied weakly, having to bite the inside of her cheek to hold back her tears. She had never been very good at goodbyes.

Maybe that was why she had never said one to Sebastian.