Dog With a Bone (1)

*Chapter is set in 1973.*

"When are you going to drop her off?"

"Uh, well, I'm going out with Julie later. Is 6:00 alright?"

"Aww, Roger. So romantic with that girl, aren't you?" You teased, just as Brian always would. You knew the blonde got around, especially with all the concerts and parties that came with being a rockstar.

"Remember that I am so generously doing a favour for you!" He snapped back, defensive as always. Since the day you met Brian, back when Queen was Smile, you always got enjoyment out of arguing with the drummer. He was a feisty one to say the least, always arguing back, even when he was obviously wrong.

"Yeah, yeah, right." You rolled your eyes, wishing he could see your annoyed expression through the phone.

"Six o'clock good?"

You agreed for Roger to drop off the dog at six, which you prayed would work out with Brian's schedule of writing, playing guitar, and occasionally going on random walks, "because he felt like it". The puppy was one of eight that a friend's dog had given birth to, and you managed to get Roger to keep her overnight. Roger was admittedly not the most responsible person to be caring for a living animal, but you knew Freddie would have kept the puppy for himself, and you weren't that close with the new bass player yet, only meeting him a few times.

"Do you want me to get her some toys or-"

You heard the bedroom door close as Brian walked quickly down the hallway, making his way to the loungeroom, where you clearly plotted something suspicious.

"Shit, uh, I'll call you back later." You whispered.

"So should I bring the-" Roger was interrupted as you hastily hung up the phone, greeting your fully dressed boyfriend with a smile.

"Where are you headed so early in the morning?" You interrogated, grinning up at Brian as he slipped on his clogs.

"Just going to show Roger some lyrics I've been working on-" he barely managed to get out before you pulled him away from the door.

"No! Uh, you can't!" You shouted, loud enough that your nosy neighbor was likely already eager to investigate the situation.

"Why?" Brian questioned, his dark eyes curiously staring down at you, skeptical of your joyful greeting and sudden change in attitude,

"Because I just talked to him on the phone! And he's-" you paused for a moment, trying to think of a lie that would fool your boyfriend. "He's gone out for breakfast with Julie." You swallowed, trying to maintain your composure.

"Oh, uh, alright." Brian replied, sounding skeptical as he hung his coat up next to the door.

He plopped down on the couch next to you after turning on the television, which was playing the same awful romance movie they'd been playing for the last week.

He wrapped his arm around your shoulders, his slender body radiating heat like a furnace.

"What's wrong, dear?" He asked, looking down into your gorgeous eyes.

"Nothing, Brian."

"It's something." He spoke, his voice soft and low, his long fingers rubbing gentle circles into your skin. You should have known better than to hide something from Brian. Nothing got past him. Your boyfriend was a scientist, and if there was one thing he was good at, it was collecting data and analyzing it correctly. You never thought of yourself as a particularly good liar, but even if you were, it was impossible to hide anything from someone as observant and intelligent as Brian May.