Prologue

He was my everything. He was the sun while I was the moon. It was like we were so close, yet we were so far. I don't really know exactly how to start this, or where end it really. We'll start with who I am. My name is Amelia Mia Swanson, I'm 19 years old. I grew up in Southern New York in a small town called Port Jervis.

I woke up to the sound of my best friend Hillary playing Pinball Wizard by the Who as loud as she could. Now, this wasn't exactly a new occurrence, she was a free spirit. She would walk around bare foot, smoke pot in town like it wasn't a big deal. She was a beautiful soul to me, someone so different compared to me. Yet, to her own parents she was a waist of space. Kicked out of her home by her overly Christian parents because she was never going to be anything in life. They decided that she was better off on the streets selling her self in New York city, rather than accepting that she was just different and needed to spread her wings.

I slumped out of bed and wrapped my self in my robe. My door has just a faint noise compared to the music being played down the hall. The house wasn't big, it was quaint. With just enough room for the two of us. I walk down the hall to see her strutting around the kitchen singing the words. In her usual house attire of a long drape like jacket, a pair of jean shorts, along with a small tank top. Leaning on the wall I sort of gawk at her as she lights a small joint and sits on the counter bobbing her head to the music. Finally she notices me and gives me this giant goofy smile. Hillary is thin, very. She has a face full of freckles and the hair of a untamed golden retriever; beautifully unkempt and wild. It was as if when you looked at her you were looking at some crazed, wild, lion who couldn't keep his pride together because he was on all sorts of acid and pot brownies.

"Hey babe." She jumped off the counter and handed me her little joint as she wrapped her arms around me and squeezed the living hell out of me.

"Hey Hill, you're choking me. Like really, really bad." I set down her little joint as she lets go of my neck laughing and rubbing the back of her neck.

"Okay listen, a group and I are driving up to Bethel, right? I know this won't be your thing, but I don't want to leave you out of this amazing experience. " She sat down on the counter in front of me, like she was anticipating me joining her on her little love fest on a farm.

"Hillary. Do you see me dancing to music with a bunch of people I barley know? Do you see me as the type who would rather go out to a farm and sit there for three days rather than sit in the comfort of my home, with heat, air conditioning, and all of the books my frail heart could ever desire?" I leaned against the fridge and stared at her. This is the seventh time this month she's asked me to go with her to this trip out party. The look of happiness sort of just wiped off her face as she sighed and got up.

"This isn't just some festival where we're doing drugs and listening to music, Amelia. We're trying to create change, we're trying to show our support for love. These are our steps to show our government that this isn't a war mongering land. We don't want this." She paced back and fort as she told me this. I knew she was right, I knew that this wasn't just a little bullshit thing that these people were doing, but this isn't the way to do it.

"I'll think about it, Hillary." I walked back into my room slipping a pair of red shorts with a Peter pan collared shirt on. I really didn't know what was keeping me from just going. I'm done with my studies, I don't have any plans really, like ever. I just am being a prude about this, these are smart people... just not in the way that I am.