02. A Fateful Day

"Be welcome! I know that many of you have traveled long leagues to be at these games. But I promise, you will not be disappointed." Viserys was practically shouting to be heard over the crowds. "As when I look at the fine knights in these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories."

Maelyra sat next to Laena and Laenor, her cousins and now, she was looking over her shoulder with a dry smile at the sight of Rhaenyra.

Rhaenyra, who wore an extremely uncomfortable-looking dress and a collar that made her look positively ridiculous. She was also both late and also drawing attention away from their lord father's speech.

Meanwhile as she watched her sister carrying herself like a lady would, Maelyra was wearing a sea-blue, silver and black doublet with the three-headed dragon sigil of House Targaryen stitched onto the front upper chest of it. Over it, she wore armor as she quite often did.

Rhaenyra shot a jealous glare at her and Maelyra was very much tempted to trip her up when she saw that she was trying to get past their father without drawing too much of the audience's attention.

But since Maelyra did not feel like being tossed into the dungeons for the day, she refrained from tripping her younger sister as she ran over to her seat next to Alicent.

"Queen Aemma has begun her labors! And may the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!" King Viserys declared and all of them were clapping, while Maelyra was looking over at Rhaenyra.

"Well done." Maelyra stated and at the words, Rhaenyra was rolling her eyes at Maelyra's words.

"Bugger off." Rhaenyra muttered rather quietly under her breath, but it was still spoken loudly enough for Maelyra to hear as then, Maelyra was smirking at the words from her little sister.

"As you wish." Maelyra stated as she was turning to look at the tourney grounds yet again.

"Princess Rhaenys Targaryen! I would humbly ask for the favor of the "Queen Who Never Was." Lord Boremund Baratheon declared and Maelyra was grinding her teeth together at the insult to Princess Rhaenys, who simply shrugged as she put her favor down onto the joust.

"Good fortune to you, cousin." Rhaenys replied with a good-natured smile.

"I would gladly take it if I thought I needed it." Rhaenys reached out a hand behind her and she swiftly was squeezing Maelyra's shoulder, a warning message to let it be.

Maelyra released the hilt of her sword and Rhaenys let her go, swiftly returning to her seat next to Lord Corlys.

Maelyra chuckled quietly and softly in surprise, after she saw that Ser Criston Cole had successfully unhorsed both of the Baratheon brothers, she was nodding at the sight. "Well done." She murmured quietly as the twins looked at her. "Nothing." She said.

Maelyra winced noticeably when she saw that Daemon had cheated to win against the eldest Hightower, the eldest son of Lord Hightower and although she didn't like her at all, Maelyra still turned to look at Alicent Hightower with something, that was almost akin to sympathy in her eyes.

Daemon had taken on Alicent's favor and while Viserys had swiftly disappeared out of the box to try and assist their mother, the day was growing ugly quite quickly.

"And now, the day grows ugly." Rhaenys stated rather simply as Maelyra was joining her and Lord Corlys, who moved over to allow her a seat on the bench.

"I wonder if this is how we should be celebrating the birth of our future king. With wanton violence." Lord Corlys pointed out as he was disgusted by it and Maelyra studied the combat, before she was nodding.