Prologue

The room was shrouded in darkness, save for the soft glow of several computer screens that illuminated the space. A man sat at his desk, his glasses reflecting the light as he stared intently at the monitors in front of him. A gentle smile graced his lips as he rested his chin on his hand. The only sounds in the room were the clicking of the mouse and the occasional tapping of the keyboard as the man immersed himself in his work.

He carefully switched between cameras, carefully taking down detailed notes as he went. A notification dinged, and he quickly shifted to face a different monitor. The image of a woman's smiling face appeared on a photo updated to her profile.

His smile widened, his eyes flashing with deep emotion. The man quickly saved the photo and printed it out. His fingers delecately brushed the inked paper before he slid it into a clear sleeve in a photo album that was filled with many more similar pictures.

That wasn't his only photo album, however. On a shelf against the wall, he had many other albums filed with this womans pictures. His favorite ones were printed on larger canvas and hung on his walls. He even had commissioned an artist to paint her likeness and hung that masterpiece above his bed.

Obsessed? Some would say so. He, however, thought the term was lukewarm compared to his true feelings for her. A simple, overused term could reflect only a small fraction of his feelings for her.

The man returned to a different monitor, observing the screen. It was security footage from a local café that he had hacked into. The woman was there, sitting at one of the tables, sipping some coffee while scrolling through her phone. The other screens reflected different security footage. Some were put there by other people like the government or private establishments and were merely hacked into. Others were placed there by him. Those showed views of her home, inside and out, as well as her car, work and others.

The man worshipped her. She was his whole world, and she didnt even know it.

"Layla," Her name slid from his lips like a lover's promise.

She was his everything.