One Evening

I listened to the calming piano notes playing from the radio. I listened to the fireplace crackling and popping. I looked out the window. The rain droplets fell fast and gracefully, each landing and splashing on the flowers. The sun shone a tiny glimpse of light, and the rest hid behind a gray cloud.

One thing was clear; this moment was undoubtedly perfect. With every passing note of the piano from the radio, I felt more nostalgic. The rain fell faster and shorter, and thunder softly boomed miles away.

I could hear the rain clearer now. I opened the window just a smidget of a crack and made myself hot chocolate. I put in 6 marshmallows and sipped. I felt at peace, like this was what I was destined for, peace and solitude.

I sat on the windowsill, and looked outside. The rain droplets coated a tiny part of the flower petals before slipping off into the grass. The sight was beautiful and astonishing.

I had begun to notice the sun setting, and the sky slowly faded into an ethereal, purple, blue, and orange ombre. Like someone had painted the sky with different shades and they blended together perfectly. The sun slowly peeped down into the horizon, and the moon slowly made its appearance.

I closed my eyes and listened. It seemed quiet, but if you listened closely, you could hear all the different sounds. If you didn't listen to them individually, then you would have thought it was all one sound.

A shower of euphoria fell over me, like a soft blanket, ineffable.

The rain droplets turned more lithe, and I studied how each drop fell. It sounded mellifluous. I looked to my pristine room, all bundled up in a cozy, warm, fuzzy feeling. It was so clean and free, but yet so wound together in an embraceful, cherishing, feel.

Any sorrow I had felt before was now water under the bridge, not important whatsoever. I was cromulent where I was now. The iridescent sky turned into a soft indigo, and the rain stopped. I opened the window. Petrichor filled my body and embraced my heart.

I watched the stars fade into the sky and I yawned. I got into bed, in a supine position, and closed my eyes. The sounds slowly faded out, and everything turned dark.