ten

Alayna slumped back in her seat and looked over at Percy, feet tapping against the floor and fingers playing with each other on her lap

"So, we're just killing time 'til we find out that guy's like a werewolf or something, right?" Percy inquires. Alayna shifts back up to sit right, interlocking her fingers with each other.

"I don't think he's a werewolf—" Alayna mumbles. "Or a monster. Maybe it's her." Alayna whispers and nods towards the officer talking to the "witness".

"Either way, we aren't spending the day answering questions in the St. Louis police station. We need to get out of this before we get delayed." Annabeth shakes her head.

The woman who'd gotten them in trouble in the first place tapped Annabeth on the shoulder, stopping her mid-sentence.

She was an older lady, probably her mid 50's or 60's. Her hair was a little bit longer than shoulder length and she was carrying an animal of some sort.

"Do you mind if I sit?" She asks the children. Percy and Alayna share a look as he shuffles closer to her.

"You poor dears," the lady begins, sitting down next to Percy. Their eyes stayed on her as she sat down, looking between all of him. "Your parents aren't here, are they?" She inquires.

Alayna stays quiet as the animal in her carrier starts to whine. "Isn't that right, precious?" She coos at the pet. Alayna's face screws up as she turns to Grover, who had the same worrying expression on his face.

"Don't children get scared when they're all alone?" She hums. The carrier shuffles and it startles Alayna a little, causing her to flinch back.

"It's okay, I'm a mom. I know how scared you must be." She nods towards Percy. Percy eyes Alayna from the side, and she copies his actions with an uncomfortable neck crane.

"Excuse me, would you mind giving us a little space?" The woman asks the police officer. "I think.." she turns towards Annabeth. "I think you're making them nervous." She whispers.

Red lights started going off in Alayna's head. What was she going to talk about that she needed the police officer to leave? Why would the officer even leave if they suspected they were such threats?