Chapter 3

Harv stared out over the endless rolling hills under the midday sun. After a long morning of dodging his family's questions and making last minute plans for tomorrow; it was nice to sit alone in the fields watching the goats graze in silence. Or rather, rest his eyes a bit under the guise of working and try not to think of the acidic pain growing in his stomach. Within twenty-four hours, his vague anxieties toward the wedding were starting to take a tangible shape, and he didn't like it. It was harder to ignore something that wasn't hiding in the shadows.

He could hear footsteps, human ones, maybe one of his brothers was hoping to sneak up on him. Then he caught a whiff of lavender and- oh no. He opened an eye and realized Finn really had no concept of personal space; his face nearly an inch away. How was he able to sneak up on him that quick? No one in his warrior class had been able to catch him off guard like this, not even the teachers.

Finn leaned back with a wide smile showing off some ridiculous costume that was kind of hard to stare at. The goats seemed fascinated by it at least, the way what looked like tiny scales reflected the sun off his tunic. He was holding a basket behind him, his shoulders up in a meek attempt at shy vulnerability.

"Hello darling." This was bad, this was really bad. Finn shouldn't be calling him things like that.

"What are you doing here?" Harv gripped his crook to steady his resolve. It didn't matter how sweet Finn acted towards him, he needed to turn the blond away. Even if he had to be a tad mean to do it.

"Looking for you." Finn hummed and then presented the basket toward him with pride. "What do you think?"

"About what?" The question took the wind out of Finn's sails for a moment. He looked into the basket, and lifted a pink glass bottle slightly with a frown, before putting it back.

"About taking a break for a little while. It's a nice day and I figured, well..." Finn took a step closer. "Maybe I should return the favor before it's too late."

"I can't do that Finn." He was at work, and he wasn't quite sure what exactly Finn was referring to.

"I thought you would say that." Finn frowned and reached for something in the basket.

"Listen, Finn-"

"At least have a drink with me. One drink and I'll listen to whatever you have to say." One of the goats had climbed up the steep hill and dared to take a nibble at the edge of Finn's sparkly tunic. "Hey!" Finn turned and tried to wrench his clothes from the determined goat's maw. "Let go!" Really, heels had no place near soft grass, all they did was sink deep into the earth.

"Finn, careful!" Harv watched as the fabric tore and Finn fumbled backwards. His arm swung wildly about, the basket went flying, but there was nothing to catch Finn in time. His head smacked against a rock at the base of the tree with a deafening crack. "FINN!" The blonde moaned weakly, still somewhat conscious. Harv dropped his crook in the grass and shooed the curious animals away. Literally anything he knew about first aid left his brain the moment a small trickle of blood seeped out from behind Finn's head. The meat pies he brought lay crushed in the grass next to a shattered pink bottle and a deep red one still intact. A label, loosely attached to the base of the bottle read 'Use in case of-' and Harv couldn't be bothered to sound out the rest. This was definitely an 'in case of' kind of situation. He popped open the bottle, and poured the cool liquid in the corner of Finn's mouth. Finn swallowed the drink weakly and turned his head to the side with a sputter.