Chapter 5

Harv hadn't been able to eat anything all day. He was physically and emotionally exhausted, having spent most of last night awake and trying to force himself to sleep. At least now his racing heart and nausea had passed and, in its wake, left nothing.

Emptiness.

His mother and future mother in-law were bustling in and out of the kitchen to get everything set up. Big and Puck kept fighting with Rhodri about getting forced into their nice clothes on a day that wasn't Sunday. His dad was catching up with old friends about the last few days while lugging around chairs. All of it just faded into the background as noise. Unpleasant, incessant noise. He couldn't tune it out but couldn't fully focus on anything either.

Someone touched his shoulder.

"Harv," his mother said with a concerned smile, "it's time."

He numbly walked outside, greeted by rows of expectant faces. His friends and family all dewy eyed and excited on his behalf. He stood at his post, just as he had practiced and waited for each person to walk down and take their place in front of the pastor. Musicians played quiet little tunes on woodwinds, no strings, Harv had made certain nothing resembling a harp might play. He told himself it was helping. Everyone rose to their feet as Audrey stepped out in a rich green gown. Wildflowers had been braided into her hair in a lovely pink and white crown. She looked like a princess.

He offered her a hand as she made her way up the steps, her hand icy in his grip. Despite her stoic expression, she must be nervous too, there were a lot of people watching them. Her mother was weeping rather loudly in the audience. She gave his hand a small squeeze and glanced at him. If they could just endure this for thirty more minutes, they'd live happily ever after. All he wanted was to be out of view of prying eyes. Maybe then he'd be able to feel again.

Finn was overdressed for the occasion, to an almost comical degree. It wasn't uncommon for nobles to wear as much fabric as possible to show off their wealth; lots of ruffles, pleats, and long wide-open sleeves. But to have the whole thing done up in white silk with pearl buttons, well, it was something more fit for a coronation than a peasant's wedding. Especially one he wasn't invited to. Neither he or his mother had been invited for that matter, but they were both here regardless.

Everything was quaintly decorated with seasonal plants. Even the weather was being kind, offering a gentle cooling breeze to chase away the heat of the sun. It was a perfect day to sulk in an uncomfortable chair and try to keep his mother from killing someone out of spite. He didn't like Audrey being the center of attention as much as his mother, but if she died today, Harv would never so much as look at him again. As it was, he wasn't certain he'd even be able to talk to him now, and he so adored talking. It would be nice if this show of goodwill could at least bridge the gap enough to form some kind of friendship. Being friends would ache less than being nothing.

"Cheer up sweetheart." Leenan ruffled his hair. His perfectly styled hair, he'd spent an hour trying to get his bangs right. "We won't be here long." That's what he was worried about.

This was an outdoor wedding, there was nowhere to hide to make a dramatic entrance, so they were loitering just within earshot of the minister. Literally half of the audience had swords on them and would occasionally give them a disapproving look. He had been so swept up in his mother's vision of demanding reparations, he hadn't factored in other people.

"Mother let's just go." He tugged on the hem of her sleeve. He was really starting to have second thoughts about this whole 'wedding crashing' thing. No matter how dramatic it seemed on paper, this was just painfully awkward. It was making them look bad. Not evil bad, embarrassing bad.