N19 - WYR: Estevan or Weyburn?

FINLEY

"Hey, Darius?" I poke my head into the bioscience study room. He's buried up to his eyes in papers he's grading for one of the courses he's TA'ing.

He pushes his glasses up his nose when he looks up at me, "yeah?"

"Are you going to your grandparents' this weekend?" Ironically, Darius' grandparents live in Estevan, a bit south of Weyburn. For the past three years we tend to carpool around this time so that he can go to their place for his grandfather's birthday and I can go home for the end-of-harvest thing my parents always put together.

He sighs, "yeah, I'm going to good 'ole Estevan. Why?"

"Would you be able to drop me off at home and pick me back up again?"

That causes a significant wince, "unless you're willing to leave Thursday."

"Oh," I purse my lips. "That's not convenient. I have that exam and fifteen hours at the hospital scheduled."

"I know," he looks back down at his papers. "I had to get the biostatistics exam rescheduled months ago. Do you know anyone else with a car?"

I shake my head, "no."

"And they can't come get you?"

Another head shake.

"I'm sorry, Fin," he sighs. "But I can't stay the extra day and skip Friday with them. He's getting sick and I gotta be there."

"No, I wouldn't ask you to miss that time," I set my hands on my hips. "Do we seriously not know anyone else with a car?"

"I mean, I know people with cars," he runs a hand over the top of his head. "But not people that would be willing to spend five hours driving to drop you off in Weyburn. You could always ask one of the guys on the hockey team. I'm pretty sure Fidan would do it."

I frown, "Fidan's schedule is always packed. There's no way he has four hours off on a Saturday."

But it's worth asking.

FINLEY: do you have any time on Saturday free? Like, daytime.

"Have you looked at the biostatistics practice exams?" Darius asks after another minute.

I shake my head, "I've been really busy with other stuff. It's not worth it when I know it's just math and I know she grades everything on a crazy curve."

"I've been looking at her exams from previous years, you know, the ones that Bronson manages to get out of his graduated friends, and I really think this one's going to be the one that tips me over the edge into insanity."

I give him a tense smile and we get to work, silence in the study room.

Two hours later, Fidan gets back to me.

FIDAN: this saturday? Day off. Home game friday night after a long roadie. Why?

FINLEY: would you be willing to drive me to Weyburn

FIDAN: would you be willing to show me some of that good organic Sask hockey? Rink the same temp as the outside?

FINLEY: it could be arranged

FIDAN: then absolutely I can ;)

FINLEY: I will not be giving you road head if that's what the wink was for

FIDAN: that was not what the wink was for. That was an innocent, harmless little wink. But now you've got me thinking about sex right before I have to sit through a two hour flight.