Chapter 1

In a dystopian world ravaged by war and poverty, 18-year-old Lucy Gray struggles to survive in District 12, the poorest and most marginalized district in the nation of Panem. After being reaped as a tribute for the 10th annual Hunger Games, Lucy found herself in the spotlight.

Back at the capitol, everyone was preparing for the games, some getting ready to watch, some getting ready to teach.  Among them is Ana, a fierce and ambitious student from the capitol. She has been assigned to mentor Lucy Gray,the cunning and independent girl from District 12.

"District 12: Female.  Lucy Gray", the announcer called.  A young woman with long locks of brunette hair and a colorful gown made her way up to the stage, sporting a detailed floral corset.  "She looks like a clown", Arachne, your topical cliche mean girl, laughed.  Everyone gasped in surprise once she placed a snake in the dress of the mayors daughter before she was escorted forcefully to the stage.

She took a good look around at her surroundings before she began to sing.  "Is she really singing right now?",  Arachne snickered as she saw Lucy Gray perform on the reaping stage.  Ana rolled her eyes at this before returning her focus to the screen.  She lightly smiled, finding the girl to be intriguing.  Her voice was smooth like honey, and she had found her dress to be pretty.  It was unique, it was colorful, it was very... Lucy Gray.

~Time Skip~

The time had come for the tributes to make their way to the capitol.  Ana waited with a white rose in hand, sucking in a nervous breath as the train made an abrupt stop in front of her. 

She flushed when the stunning tribute poked her head out of the caboose.  Lucy Gray looked down, and to her surprise was met with her mentor.  Ana held out a hand to help her out of the train, offering her a kind smile.  Hesitantly, Lucy grabbed her hand and let her help her down

"Hello, my name is Ana.  I am going to be your mentor.", the girl introduced herself.  "I'm sorry that you were just thrown into this with no choice, but I just want you to know that I will do all I can to ensure you are brought home safely", she explained, offering her the rose.

Lucy tilted her head.  She didn't expect to meet a member of the capitol who treated her like a human.  However, she still was skeptical.  She took the rose and thanked her, offering a small smile.

The small moment of silence was interrupted as a group of peacekeepers began to forcefully group all the tributes together, forcing them into a metal carriage to be transported to the capitol zoo.

Ana made sure the peacekeepers weren't looking before she sprinted towards the carriage, jumping inside just before the doors closed.

"You lost pretty girl?", a tall man by the name of Reaper teased, causing Ana to flinch uncomfortably.  "Nope.  I love it here, this is a very nice carriage", she hummed.  "Well, I think you've got the wrong one.", a girl with short red hair threatened.  Coral was her name, her mere presence gave Ana an uneasy feeling.

"Let's kill her!", one of the tributes yelled, a group of them backing her into a corner.  "No!-" Lucy began before everyone let out a scream as the carriage started to shake.  Distressed noises could be heard as the doors opened, causing everyone to fall out.

Ana groaned as she got up, eyes widening in horror as she saw they were enclosed in a large cage.  "The capitol zoo? What the fuck..", she mumbled.  She turned her head towards the sound of a frustrated huff, her eyes met with Lucy Gray's.  The district 12 girl awkwardly looked up at her, cheeks flushing as Ana reached down with her hand to help her up.