New Fish

Aizawa blamed the press entirely for this.

They blared across every network across Japan that the League was 'defeated', going so far as to show the damage and death toll on international channels, and public opinion turned fast. It only got worse as time rolled on. Heroes quit en masse, twenty-five hero agencies closed just in the last month. It seemed no amount of press conferences could calm down the fervor, even going so far as to affect U.A; many students transferred to other schools, and even some hero course students willingly transferred out to other courses.

Even as he limped his way up to the school building, thanks to getting accustomed to his new prosthetic, his mind ran through the aftermath of the battle, and how it affected his previous class.

That was another thing he didn't want to think about, he had a whole new class to raise. It felt wrong to hand the students who have been through so much off to someone else, even if it was a fellow teacher. He thought about them in the hospital, the tears and the exhaustion. He had never seen a group of his students look so hopeless.

The path ahead was going to be a rough one.

Aizawa knew he was dragging his feet on the way to meet his new class as if introducing them into his life would mean abandoning his previous batch of students. It was a ridiculous notion, but one he felt nonetheless. The Class 1-A room door was in the same style as every other door in the school, but Aizawa had grown a strange sense of attachment to it. He memorized the specific scuffs on the wood and the doodles previous students thought he wouldn't notice. He was growing into a sentimental fool.

He slammed open the door with enough force to have it bounce back an inch, but the class was still a rowdy mess. Scanning the crowd, the teacher noticed several students out of their seats and several more showing off their quirks in class. He scowled.

"You might want to sit down, class is in session," He barked out, and he was pleased to see panicked looks as the teens scuttled to their desks, "It took you all ten seconds to quiet down, that's precious time we cannot afford. And since I saw several of you displaying your quirks before, so I'll say this as a warning; if you're here to achieve fame, money, or high social standing, you're better off finding a different career." He glared at some of the students with cocky smirks plastered on their faces, "Now, get on your gym uniforms and get outside, we're doing your first quirk application test."

A more heavy-set girl with lilac hair raised her hand, "Um, what about orientation?"

There's always one student who asks that every year without fail. Aizawa turned to glare daggers into her, "You are training to become a hero, what good will orientation do to achieve that goal?"

The girl rubbed the back of her neck, "jeez, never mind..."

So the fresh batch of first years made it out to the training field to the west of the main building, all lined up in a row in order of their seating chart.

At least they're not totally immature.

"Softball throw, standing long jump, fifty-meter dash, grip strength, side-stepping, upper body strength, and seated toe touch. These are the standardized physical exams you all took in middle school, I assume?"

A response of mumbled yes's and nods followed.

"You weren't allowed to use your quirks on these tests because the department of education is still playing catch-up with history. However, in this exam, you will all use your quirks in this exam, to truly weigh your potential as future heroes," he paused to scan the crowd, no outbursts so far. He turned to the class roster he pulled up on his phone. He still felt guilty for having it memorized by now, but with everything that went down and all the extra physical therapy sessions he had to attend to help accommodate for his prosthetics, he barely had any time to tend to his duties as a teacher.