Chapter 19

A shadow reappears out of the woods. Using my flashlight, I see it is Adrian. I drop my head in shame. I am such a embarrassment. I thought he was going to kiss me! I freaked him out by leaning  in too close. What is wrong with me! I really thought he was going to...
I was wrong. Utterly wrong.
And he said I wasn't Ever. Is he right? Am I too tainted by the Cranes to ever be my old self again?
He sits down beside me. I don't know what to say. I can't speak. Fortunately, he breaks the silence. "Everly. Look at me."
He cups my chin in his palm. "You are Ever. I'm sorry I said that."
"It's fine."

"No, it's not. I know who Ever is and you are exactly her. I'm looking right at her. And I just wanted to say I never had a relationship other than a friendship with Seraphina. She wanted one, but I didn't. But you had a previous relationship, a husband, am I right?"

I nod. "Yes, you can say that. Someone I loved."
"Yeah, and as much as I missed and loved Sera, I don't regret not having feelings for her. They were nothing compared to what I feel for you."
I gasp. "You have feelings for me?"
I didn't imagine it. He felt it too. "All this time-"
He kisses my cheek lightly. " I do. You are my sanctuary."
I suck in a breathe and chills envelop my entire body. I gasp at the brief flush of heat from the touch of his lips to my skin. What this man does to me.

"And you are mine." I finally tell him.

We lean into each other and just as our lips are about to touch, he pauses. "Wait. You only like me because-"
"Because what? What, Adrian?" I ask nervously.

"Do I remind you of Raphael?"
How does he know so much about him? I only mentioned him once, the fact I had a husband, but never his name.
"Well, kinda. You are protective and loving like him. You make me feel safe. I trust you, like I trust him. And I feel-"

He interrupts. "I should've gave this to you so long before. I'm sorry, Ever. But I was afraid. I found this when I began having feelings for you, and I thought if you read this, you would forget all about me."
"What the hell are you talking about, A?"

He hands me a piece of paper out of his jean pocket. "I found this in Tyrin's desk. He never bothered to give it to you."
I open the folded note and peruse the scrawled handwriting.

A letter from Raphael.

Hey, so short chapter! But the next one will be just of what's in Raphael's letter. Feelings will arouse. But what will happen. Find out next time on...starless! Okay dears! Thanks for reading!💜W