𝐨𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐭 | 𝟎𝟕

𝐨𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐭 | 𝟎𝟕

"feel me"

"Nah, y'all parents know you're here?" Crimsley frowned at the bandwagon of kids that showed up on her doorstep the following morning. Junele, Andrea, Faviana, and Ddot huddled together on her doorstep--Junele's blue Mazda CX-3 parked out front. They were dressed in sweats and pajamas--Junele carrying her backpack, Andrea holding snacks, while Ddot carried Nella's pink BEIS Weekender bag in hand. They all wore matching sheepish grins, and Crimsley sighed--muttering something about the time as she checked her Apple Watch in dismay. "As long as your parents know you're here--it's fine, but you better be catching up on schoolwork and being productive, entiéndeme (understand me)?" She gave them a look that threatened consequences if they disobeyed.

"Estaremos bien tía, lo prometemos (we'll be good, tia, we promise)." Andrea said fluently. Junele and Faviana nodded in unison even though they had no idea what Andrea had said--they just knew it was enough to be granted entrance into the Reyes household as Crimsley nodded in satisfaction, stepping around.

"I'll be back in the evening and I will be calling your parents to confirm." Crimsley said, moving down the steps with her purse and lunch bag in hand.

"Whew--don't she scare you a little bit?" Junele shifted her jaw, the tension fading away from her body.

"Nah, she not scary, she just worried," Faviana said, stepping inside the house without an inch of remorse--the Reyes house was like her second home, she was a bit too comfortable there. "Mel dropped outta school the first chance she got so, she just been stressing about education ever since--you seen how she struggled after having Amiri--she had a hard time getting a job."

"You sure Nella's here though, ma?" Ddot asked--the house was as quiet as could be--meaning DD was still sleeping.

"Her phone said she's here so," Faviana shrugged, "Jay literally texted my mom saying she was finna sleep over here, where else would she be, bae?" She rolled her eyes.

"Aight, calm down wit' the attitude," Ddot frowned at her, eyeing her closely before he passed her Nella's bag, "you know Jay moved into the basement. I'ma go see if Notti up." He mumbled, starting towards the stairs.

"Junie, you wanna help me make breakfast?" Andrea asked, turning to her friend just as Faviana headed down the basement stairs.

"Drea--now, you know I can't cook."

"Junie, you can try."

Their voices faded away as Faviana stepped down the stairs slowly, one hand against the wall, bracing herself. Truthfully--she hadn't been down in the basement either since Mel moved out, often staying in the upstairs living room or the boys' room on the second floor.